Internet Cafe

Friday, October 16, 2009

Taking Care of the Temple



We sat at breakfast and I reminded everyone that I had a doctor's appointment.


"For what?" asked my 9 year old.


"I have to have a test done that detects breast cancer, a mammogram."


"Oh yeah, on Sunday Night Football the players were wearing pink shoes and hats because it's breast cancer month. It was cool."


He dumped his cereal milk in the sink and he was off.




The girls lingered.


"What exactly do they do at a mammogram?"

I described the procedure and they looked with twisted faces and giggled, "Have fun!"

I laughed at them and quipped, "Just taking care of the temple."

The older one smiled and they were off.

It was certainly NOT the way I'd choose to spend a glorious October afternoon. You KNOW what I mean! Truth was that insurance tempted me to just "skip" it this year. The hassle that I had gone through nearly had me throwing up my hands and saying, "I don't have time for this."

And then the subtle voice that recalls a verse at the right time....the Holy Spirit whispering.


"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?"

1 Corinthians 6:19



"I know, I know, blah, blah, blah... I do take care of my body. I eat well, exercise, get enough sleep, (usually)," I chatted back.

"Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Your grandmother had cancer and you need to do this"

I knew what I needed to do. I called, fought with insurance and made the appointment.

It REALLY isn't that bad. A bit awkward, comical really, but necessary. It is October and because of one woman's battle with breast cancer and a sister who would not let her death be in vain, we SEE the reminders everywhere this month. If you haven't made your appointment for your yearly exam, and you're over 40, and you know who you are, it's time.

If you haven't reached the big four ~ oh....then visit the Susan G. Komen site and get educated. As women we are in this together. As Christian women, we need to encourage each other on the journey.

It's all part of taking care of the Temple.

This month is you are a breast cancer survivor please leave a comment so that we can pray for you. Your stories of survival inspire us and encourage so many of us.







Join Lori daily at her personal website,all you have to give, where she is ever trying to take care of "her Temple."






Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Wonderful post sweetie.

October 16, 2009 at 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home