Internet Cafe

Thursday, March 26, 2009

I love studying the Temple for understanding the work of the Holy Spirit. While searching the ancient words, I saw something wonderful.


When the priests withdrew from te Holy Place, the cloud filled the temple of the LORD. 1 Kings 8:10.

Before the Spirit of God could fall down in the Holy of Holies, the deepest room in the Temple, the priests of the Temple had to get out. They couldn't even be in the room where His glory fell. It was His place to rule, and His place alone. When His glory fell, the priests were at His disposal, doing what He wanted and waiting on His guidance.


It's the same with us.


When the Holy Spirit takes up residency, we too must leave the Holy of Holies. We must make a cognitive, conscience decision in prayer to believe that the Spirit of God has seated Himself in the deepest place in us. We decide to humble ourselves to that power and believe that He will do what He says He will do.


Andrew Murray, a great teacher, says this in regard to our humility to the Spirit:

The Holy Spirit is not given to us as a possession of which we have control and can use at our discretion. The Holy Spirit is given to us as our Master, who have control of us. We do not use Him, He uses us.

I have had that backwards before. I have lived and believed (even if I didn't say it out loud) that I had control. I have believed that I can just summon Him to do something powerful and God-like in my life without even considering that, um, I'm the one who is alive because of Him, not the other way around. Such thinking kept His power from really breaking forth. I was not yielding. Not humbling myself. I thought I was, but it was really just me trying to force the Spirit to do His job.


I figured out that humility and yielding to the Spirit takes great patience and most certainly I found that it rubbed my flesh nature, my natural self, the wrong way! One of the hardest things for me to do a few years ago was go from my butt to my knees. Some of you may not have that problem, and I'm glad! It wasn't that I was all so into myself, it was just something I hadn't practiced, hadn't understood.


But the Lord says to us things like this:
I will give you treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel who summons you by name. Isaiah 45:3

Wait for the Lord; be strong, and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
There is great reward and holiness in waiting before the Lord. It shows a soul determined to believe that the Spirit of Christ is the fullness of God in her. That He has the right to do as He wills and that He hold the deepest place in us and in that, we are changed. Let me say this and you ponder it and tell me what you think
The degree I am yielded to the Spirit is the degree I am filled with the Spirit.
We who are followers of Christ have His Spirit. Now, are we letting Him have full authority? Do we get out of the Holy of Holies and believe that regardless of what we feel, He is at work? Be humbled. Be yielded. Be filled.

1 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Yes, fill me to overflowing Lord.

April 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home