Internet Cafe

Monday, February 8, 2010

I-Spy A Stoplight


I was stuck at a stoplight behind another car. For whatever reason, the light had not switched to green for two turns, so I waited at the mercy of the car in front of me that would not break the law. Realizing it might be awhile, I made good use of the time. I scrambled to find a piece of gum at the bottom of my purse, and then put on my ‘Spectator Sally’ sunglasses. Now relishing the spicy flavor of cinnamon, I spied on the people in the cars that passed by in the opposite direction.



Several were on their cell phones with straight faces, maybe discussing work or the weather. A few seemed lost in their own worlds, as if on auto-pilot. One car was full of dudes jamming to the bass of a booming stereo system. One lady was lighting a cigarette. Another was looking at her handheld device, probably reading a text or checking Facebook for all I knew. In awe of the variety, I reminded myself that each person in each vehicle had a life with people in it completely separate from my own. And God keeps track of each one, I thought.



Finally, the stoplight turned green. I continued my people watching while slowly accelerating. Stopped in the turn lane on the left of me, I noticed a stark contrast from the all the other cars I had previously I-spyed. It was a young woman, 20 something…visibly distraught…thick, black streams running down her face. We exchanged momentary glances, though I doubt she could see me through her tears (or my sunglasses). I wanted to stop the car—comfort her somehow.



My heart sank into my stomach as I drove on, but all I could do was pray for that young woman. God, You’re keeping track of this one, right? I pleaded.



*******************


Sisters, “this” woman really got to me…I think because it occurred to me that I’ve been “her” many times before. Not necessarily in the car, but right in the middle of life—needing to pull over and meltdown—instead having to look forward and keep moving.



Lemme guess…you too?



That’s because whether we’re an employee or a student or a mom or a grandma or a ministry leader, life doesn’t always stop when we hurt, does it? We often must continue our striving, studying, serving, snuggling and strategizing, even when we’re about to fall apart. Most days, we can phone a friend for an ear or a prayer, but others, we simply can’t, for whatever reason.



Isn’t it such a comfort to know, though, that in those moments, God is already there, fully aware of each hurt, each burden, each tear? As simple as this promise is, it can be difficult to remember when our emotions have taken control of the wheel. But believe this…The Lord says, “Yes, I am with you always, even to the end of the street. Even to the end of that task. Even to the end of yourself. I am with you, even to the very end of the age.” God doesn’t need to rest and refuel. He only asks you to rest in Him.



So, dear ones, call out to Him when life demands you keep going. Take off your sunglasses and see the perfect love of your Heavenly Father…never leaving, never rejecting, never failing…always present, always accepting, always faithful.



"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you;



He will never leave you nor forsake you."


Deut. 31:8


"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."


Matt 28:20b







Selah~ Pause. Ponder. Praise.


Please come by and visit my new personal blog,

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home