Internet Cafe

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

When I wanted an answer, daddy made me "look it up." "Looking it up, pre Google, you know, back in the day, meant lugging out that monstrosity of a book called the encyclopedia, remember them? My kids don't.

I have to thank grandma too. More than once I heard her say, "inquiring minds want to know." (with a wink) Not exactly an educational pursuit, more of a supermarket field trip, but inquiring none the less.


Even today these influences are part of my personality. Sometimes I can't just accept the things I read, I need to know more. Just the other day, I came across an excerpt from a book by Oswald Chamber, and my "Inquiring Mind" begged to know more.


"We are not built for the mountains and the dawns and aesthetic affinities, those are for moments of inspiration, that is all. We are built for the valley, for the ordinary stuff we are in, and that is where we have to prove our mettle."
~Oswald Chamber


"Moment's of inspiration, that is ALL?"

"Built for the valley, ordinary stuff?"


WHAT?


Thankfully, with Google at my fingertips, my
inquiring mind and I went deeper.

In the preceding text, Chamber's says;


"The test of our spiritual life is the power to descend; if we have the power to rise only, something is wrong. It is a great thing to be on the mount with God, but a man only gets there in order that afterwards he may get down among the devil-possessed and lift them up."


Let me tell you something, I love the lawnchair view.

The view from the top. The final ascent.
Sitting in my lawnchair on the TOP of the mountain, sun shining, no distractions, breeze blowing through my hair and I am soaking it all in...maybe even getting a tan.

Then it's as if the lawn chair is being shaken,

"Go on, get off! Shoo! Fold it up and get a move on it sister. You weren't meant to STAY here girlfriend! Oh no honey, I need you back in the valley."



The proof of my 'mettle,' (or as Miriam Webster defines it, 'vigor and strength of spirit,') is when I get off my derriere, pick up my lawn chair, and come down off the mountain where I caught a 'glimpse' of heaven and the glory of God. Those times on the mountain are where God 'refuels' us! He uses those moments to refresh our souls and invigorate our spirits!

Peter, James and John could not stay on the mountain where the Transfiguration occurred, (LUKE 9:28 ~36) they had to descend to the valley, where the lowly were living and teach them and inspire them with what they had seen and knew to be the truth.

We are no different, we are called to do the same.
Come down! The mountain is a lovely place, it's a safe place. We however, were not meant to climb to the top, unfold our lawn chairs, spread out our blankets and stay.

Oh, maybe for a bit, to take it all in, but our spirits should
want to descend to those valleys of the mundane and the trials of life. Girlfriend, WE are, after all, modern day disciples! (I know, I don't often feel like a 'disciple,' but we are! How AMAZING is that?? You and I, disciples!)

We are the ones who are now called to come down and 'share' what we have seen. We are the vessels with which the Lord wishes to use to encourage others to climb to the top and experience that 'glimpse.' We are modern day disciples sharing what we have learned on our journey, sharing so that others can begin their ascent, to catch their glimpse, and for a bit, experience their own lawn chair view.

If you close your eyes, you can almost imagine it, disciples on their way up, and those making the descent, (I imagine us high five~ing as we pass each other on the way) and so it continues on, until the end of time.

That mountain top view is lovely, I have seen it. I've unfolded my lawnchair and lingered at the top, and truth be told, I've been tempted to permanently cement my chair up there.
But I was not meant to LIVE there.

"Those who do not take up their cross and follow in my steps are not fit to be my disciples." Matthew 10:38 (GNT)

I was meant to here in this valley, the valley of mini vans and hurting neighbors. The valley of troubled teens and grumpy co-workers. The valley of dysfunctional families, the tired, misunderstood and unchurched.

So, confidently, I fold my chair and begin to walk down, grateful and humbled by the experience to have another view from 'up there.' It is with sleeves rolled up, I descend to do some real work. You know, 'proving my mettle!'

I remain always confident that HE has another 'view from the top' waiting for me, to encourage and refuel me on my way. I'm certain that the lawn chair will not be permanently hidden, just put away, for exactly the time He determines another 'glimpse' is needed.


As I descend, I'm reminded that it pays to have an "inquiring mind." Thanks gram!






join Lori daily at her personal website,all you have to give, where she'll happily let you borrow her lawn chair.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger tammi said...

You KNOW how I love this quote!!! ;)

November 10, 2009 at 6:22 AM  
Blogger CeeCee said...

You are so right. Thanks for the reminder.

November 10, 2009 at 7:11 AM  
Blogger Freddae' said...

I love the glimpses of the our Lord's view. It's this revelation in our lives that is transformational. I enjoyed your post.

November 10, 2009 at 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post! I also think that descending means digging deeply into our own lives into the parts of our lives that need to be dealt with. It's good to enjoy those moments where we've conquered some sort of challenge, but always, you've got to come back down to earth and face the realities of life...including our own struggles.

November 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post is incredible. thank you for it. I'm afraid I need to pick up my lawnchair *sigh* xoxo

November 11, 2009 at 1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home