Internet Cafe

Friday, August 28, 2009

Trust In God



True Story-- as it was told to me three long years ago.

The drive was a long one. She was body weary and heart weary. The trials of late had taken a toll on her emotions, and her precious family. The enemy had hounded almost the very life from their first born child. Their son. What they had already been through was monumental. But it was nothing compared to what they yet had to endure.

The young man, not quite a man, no longer an innocent, the drugs had seen to that, sat in almost a constant state of squirm. Talking nonsense for much of the time, distracted by anything that seemed to whirl through his mind, gave his devoted parents a ride they would not soon forget.

The parents, trying to find a place of safety. A place where the drugs could be cleansed from his system, under the watchful eyes of those with the knowledge of how to care for a young man who came close to leaving this life. The miles stretched out as phone calls were made--seeking refuge. All the while the mother sat with her emotions on her face. She bit back the tears that seemed in constant threat, almost as a veritable thunderstorm in the heat of summer.

With a destination in sight, the band of three headed north. After many miles and long hours of riding, the weary family pulled into the site of the rehabilitation center. The extreme price for the period of time he was to stay, seemed of no consequence to have their son healthy and whole. They depleted what they had and then some, to get him from the influence of evil and into the care of professionals.


The mother, not wanting to leave her son in a strange place and so far from home, felt the dam of tears near to bursting as she suggested to her husband to find a motel and leave fresh in the morning. It had been a harrowing few days. She knew she couldn't emotionally handle the ride back home this late in the day. It would be several hours before they could get back home and the strain of the drive north itself had wiped them both out.

As they set out to find a place of rest they stopped at one motel after another, turned away every time. A conference was in town and every available decent motel was booked solid. Finally, about to give up, they arrived at a motel and the desk clerk informed him that although they were full, he would call their "sister motel" down the street and see if they had anything available. By this time, they were willing to take the broom closet. Washing in the janitorial sink. Whatever it took, they needed to get off the highway and sleep a bit. They needed to make some calls back home, let the other family members and church members know they were safe and that their son was in good hands, and they needed to weep in private.

As the father was waiting in the lobby for the call to be made, the mother was in the truck talking to the Lord.

"It's my birthday Lord." She wept as she realized this yet again. Although her son had apologized for her having to spend her birthday in this way, she assured him that she'd rather spend it getting help for him and knowing he was now safe, than still be in the misery of the past few days. Her troubled heart thought back to the joy of when he was born. How, even as a young boy, his heart seemed destined to follow Christ. But then peer pressure seemed to change things, and it simply broke her heart.

The father came out of the motel, a grim look on his face as he opened the door, "They have one room. I don't know what it looks like, and right now, I really don't care."

They pulled back onto the highway, stealing themselves for what they might have to face. They just needed a place for some privacy. A place to pray and weep before the Lord without being disturbed. A place to be alone with the Father and unload the heavy burden of life.

When they arrived at the motel, the room key was issued and they were instructed to pull around to the side, they could enter from the side door. This could be the cleaning crew entrance for all they cared, but to them it was a completely private entrance.

As he inserted the room key and waited for the green light to display on the door handle, they seemed to hold their breath. The door swung wide to reveal an unexpected surprise! A suite! They were in the only room available and it was a room fit for someone with celebrity status! Well, that's what they were! Children of the Most High God!

As the father went to gather the rest of their belongings, the broken hearted mother carried one suitcase over to the sofa, reveling in the fact that the Lord had been gracious enough to supply them with a wonderful place to lay their weary heads. As she dropped the bag down, she noticed something shiny on the floor underneath the edge of the sofa. Kneeling down, she picked up the shiny silver coin that lay heads up. A quarter.

As she rubbed her thumb over the coin, her eyes fell on the words, "IN GOD WE TRUST". The pent up tears began to cascade down her weary face as she turned the coin over and saw that it's year mark was 1987. The year of their marriage.

That's exactly what they had done. For all these years, trust in God. They had suffered many storms in the life of their ministry and marriage, but trusting in God had never been questioned. That was resolute. That was concrete. Immovable. "Trust in God." They did then, they still do today.

The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, [and] my high tower. Psalm 18:2 KJV

When Aimee called me just after finding that quarter, crying through most of the explanation, I told her this: "Aimee, that was God's love note to you. You are His child, His daughter and everyday, He leaves us little "I Love You's" all around, if we will just look for them". We both praised the LORD for this incredible joyous blessing in the middle of one of life's toughest storms and wept for the returned prodigal, who was still a long way from God.

Would you join us in prayer over this young man? His name is Brad and God has a purpose for his life. A purpose and destiny. He is not as far as he has been, but this sheep hasn't made it back into the fold.

Friend, I don't know what you are going through today. Whether it is an issue with your children, perhaps aging parents, your job, or just an emotional battle that just doesn't seem to have a name. I want to give you the assurance, that as my sister, Aimee trusted in God to deliver her son back to her, you can trust in God for whatever need is in your life. God has a purpose for your life too. He has a destiny that was created just for you. Will you call on Him today?

Father, first I thank You for what You are still doing in Brad's life. For the salvation of his soul. While I cannot see it with my natural eye, my heart believes it is near!

Father, each person that stops off here today and reads this post has a need in their lives. It may be similar, or maybe it's something they've not shared with anyone.

Father, I ask right now that you minister to each heart today, reveal to them the "I Love You" that You have left for them to find. Remind them of the greatest Love Note that hung on the cross for our sins. Enable us to be what you designed and created us for. Give us the wisdom and strength to continue on in the power of Your might!

I give You my life to shape, form and fashion in whatever way would please and bring glory to You. Bless these that stop here. Minister peace to them as only You can. In the most holy name of Your Son, Jesus Christ ~ Amen.




© The Knightly News 2009. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Hi, Angie,

I thank the Lord for your life. I needed to hear it today. To hear tthat the Father still loves me. I felt that there was no turn back, no forgiveness for me, for I went to far, although very near. I am the prodigous daughter coming home and asking for Him to take me back. At the same time I'm the oldest son, who is in the house of the Father and having no intimacy with Him.

Thank You! Your post was my "I love You" note.

August 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Anonymous shannon said...

I needed to read this today! So good! Thank you!

August 28, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Pat Thacker said...

Yes thank you so very much for sharing I also needed this story today I have a nephew fresh out of prison for different crimes and it was drugs and drinking that got him in and now after all he's been through he's dipping in drugs & drink again.I'll keep Brad in my prayers and please keep Terry & Jackie in yours and thanks so much for your prayer here.God will set them totally free!!! Hallelujah God's word is true.

August 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM  
Anonymous AnjieP said...

I thank God for the message and the messenger. This really hit home for me because I have a neice that's gone astray. Not sure of what all she has gotten involved in or how deep she is in it, but I trust and I know that God is able to deliver her and all the other prodigals from whatever it is that has them bound. Just as He brought me out of darkness into the marvelous light, He can & He will do the same for them. Thank You Father saving us & setting us free!!

August 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Laurel in Canada said...

So timely...thank you for sharing your heart. Brad and his family are safe in my prayers.

August 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I am lifting dear Brad up to the throne of God sweetie, I love you.

August 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Through teary eyes...all I can say is "I Love You"...thank you for obeying the Lord and sharing this...will be praying for your nephew and his parents...I know what they are going through...and the Lord is with us....

August 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

May God bless you for sharing this so that others may know that they are not alone. My heart goes out to Brad and his family and I am praying for all.

August 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Kathy C. said...

Angie, this was a beautiful post and it brough tears to my eyes. I believe we all have a deep struggle of some sort, a thorn, a prodigal, soemthing that just plagues our hearts. I'm so thankful that God is faithful, steadfast, and always just a Word away. I needed to read this today, for my own life, but I will also be praying for Brad and his family.
Blessings,
Kathy C.

August 31, 2009 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger LisaShaw said...

I weep and you already know the reasons why...

Brad is and will remain in my prayers.

I love you and I thank the LORD for using you to share HIS LOVE NOTE TO US today as He shared with Aimee 3 yrs ago and continues to share today.

My love and prayers are with her as well.

August 31, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home