Internet Cafe

Monday, August 31, 2009

O Be Careful Little Eyes What You See


We are thrilled to have Jennifer Reeder sharing a devotional with us today!


I always guard my godly reputation closely, but this weekend I failed.

Dressed in my oldest, faded clothes, this Beverly Hillbilly 90210 gal worked her magic clearing up the pool water, in a manner only Moses and his staff could rival, until I noticed garbage had become trapped in the deep end drain.

With no little people around to bribe, I decided to take action, borrow goggles from the kids treasure box of gear, and retrieve the garbage myself. Wedging the goggles over my head, I realized my head is considerably larger than that of a 7 year old, and with more facial fat. In a reverse face-lift, every ounce of fat on my face was pulled down into the goggles, as I struggled to see through the two slits where the cheek fat met my eyes, turning my face bright red from the pressure. I looked like a homeless diver, who had been stung by a bee and was awaiting the Jaws of Life to remove me from my entrapment.


As I slid this massive amount of flesh into the water, and located the drain, I felt like I belonged in a Jacques Cousteau documentary.

" Watch as the massive creature circles her prey, preparing to lunge in for the kill."

Finally ready, I took a deep breath, and pushed too hard against the wall, overshooting the drain. Trying to turn mid glide and swim back, a new problem arose. Every time I moved forward, my loose shorts tried to stay stationary in the water. Using both hands to glide forward, and then grab the shorts, I repeated my new “glide and grab” stroke across the pool.

Back over the drain, exhausted with my new synchronized swimming routine, I managed to grab the handful of leaves. With both arms occupied, I flipped on my back and floated to shore, holding the handful of leaves straight up in the hair like the Liberty Torch, while kicking and splashing my way to the side of the pool where the goggles slid up pulling my hair tightly on top of my head, while the bottom of the goggles caught on the tip of my nose, pulling it straight up in "pig like" appearance.

Unable to fix the goggles, hold the shorts, release my hair, and stay afloat, I bobbed and gagged for a moment to catch my breath.

I then noticed two boots attached to brown pants standing 12 inches from me. I looked up into the very disturbed and shocked face of the UPS man perched by the side of the pool, apparently having witnessed the entire event.

"Hi," I blubbered.

"I...I... have a package for you," he stuttered.

"OK. Just leave it on the porch, " I said in a tone of voice that I hope resembled that of an efficient secretary.

" I will. Are you going to be alright?"

What a loaded question. I have never been "alright." What could I say, that would ease his mind and yet explain my behavior? With a contorted, red face, I replied,

"You know how rodeos have clowns? Sea World is going to try the same concept in the Shamu show. Water clowns. I'm trying out."

Without a moment's hesitation, he replied, "You're ready," with a twinkle in his eye.

I was embarrassed, and yet it was an obvious reminder- you never know who is watching you.

You may work diligently to portray to others exactly what you want them to see and perceive about you, but what you truly are will eventually shine through. Sometimes the only catalyst needed to bring out our hidden nature is a forbidden fruit tree, a bathing maiden on a rooftop, a crowing rooster, or even suffering.

We may be observed in the fiery furnace like the three Hebrew boys, in slavery like Joseph, in power and authority like King Saul, or even in death like Stephen. How will we do? Will the true nature of Christ shine through us?

So many times we want to be used “greatly” in the Kingdom, while overlooking the potential of a single moment that a lost world may be watching us.
Prayerfully consider, what moments have you been watched lately? Don't be caught with garbage in your hand and holding up your britches. A lost world is not drawn in by that image, only UPS drivers.

Matthew 5:16 “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in Heaven.” KJV


Ever Watchful Heavenly Father, guard my heart, my lips, and my actions. May my life dim, as the glory of Your Son shines through me. May every deed be a reflection of you, every word a testimony of you, and my heart a cistern of Living Water overflowing on those around me. May watching eyes see You clearly, completely, and consistently in me. Amen.

In Him,

Jennifer Reeder

Jennifer is a am 34 year old homeschooling mother of three, yet oddly enough, she's the one learning the most! She is a writer, children's Bible teacher, women's retreat speaker, and singer, at Hopewell Baptist Church. She also owns Triple Cross Farm in Whitley City, Kentucky and care for 30,000 chickens! (I once prayed for God to increase my flock and He answered! Tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor!)

She has a wonderful, hard working husband, Chris. Sometimes she's gathering eggs, sometimes she's gathering manna, and sometimes she's gathering dirty laundry, but she remains constantly thankful to God for the opportunity to do them all. At midnight, when it's finally quiet, God takes the craziness of her day and shows her His eternal truths hidden behind the laughter, tears, and stress.

Join Jennifer at her blogspot, midnightmanna

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Joan C. Webb said...

You made me laugh, Jennifer, -- and think. Thanks.
Joan C. Webb. www.joancwebb.com

August 31, 2009 at 1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! Very encouraging.
Thanks Jennifer.
Bobbi

August 31, 2009 at 6:56 AM  
Blogger you gotta wonder said...

Very nice, and poignant.

August 31, 2009 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Freddae' said...

My friend, you have a beautiful gift of comedy. What a refreshing and uplifting giggle for a Monday morning. I appreciate your encouragement to start my week. Bless you!

August 31, 2009 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

So encouraging, bless you.

August 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story made me laugh! (and send the link to my sister) then it brought tears to my eyes. Your transparency, and what you said "So many times we want to be used “greatly” in the Kingdom, while overlooking the potential of a single moment that a lost world may be watching us." that was very impacting.

blessings,
thank you for your honesty,

please visit me sometime at www.osothankful.blogspot.com

August 31, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger amy said...

I loved this post! Thanks for the laugh AND the reminder that the world is watching. I needed that! Have a blessed day!

August 31, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Pat Thacker said...

What a story this has really made my day!!! I totally enjoyed this and I laughed until I cried!Yes Lord help us to shine brightly here and now.
Have a wonderful day and be careful around the pool lol!!!

August 31, 2009 at 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Teresa Lasher said...

You painted a terrific word picture so we all can understand and remember to "be careful little eyes what you see."

Thank you for your honest transparency.

Teresa Lasher

visit me at my blog:
http://lasherstudios.com/blog/

August 31, 2009 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a perfect time to laugh at yourself and know the laugh of our heavenly Father, Lord and King laughing with you. Sounds like it was a great time & I would have loved it. Thank God for Proverbs 8 and His daily delight in Wisdom, Who now lives inside us!!

September 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Great post... I'm sure you had no idea when you made that brave swim that you would paint a picture for our eyes.

I'm hopping over to your blog now....

September 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Reeder said...

Thank you for all the encouraging comments! It was an honor and a blessing to be the Guest Barista. Only God could open the door for a mom to fulfill the Great Commission and "go into all the world" without leaving her home. However, I didn't forsee receiving so many blessings and encouraging words back. You are a wonderful group of ladies- daughters of Barnabas I shall call thee! May God's hand rest on you, His Spirit fill you, His Power work through you, His Love saturate you, and His Name be glorified wherever you are and whatever you do. Used By Grace, Jennifer

September 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home