Internet Cafe

Friday, March 20, 2009

Temptation Anyone?

Temptations...you all know what I'm talking about and it's not that Motown group of 5. It's the OTHER temptations in our lives.

They've been around since the dawn of time, and given their history, it's not likely they're going anywhere. Recently I came across a quote which put into perspective why there are times when we're tempted more than others:

“The weaknesses we see in the people of the Bible are the very weaknesses we ought to recognize in ourselves. Live Eve who ate the forbidden fruit we are vulnerable to temptation when we act on our own. Like Abraham, who lied about his wife to save his neck, we are vulnerable to temptation when we are scared. Like David, who slept with Bathsheba while his men were off to war, we are vulnerable to temptation when we are idle. Like Elijah, who wanted God to end his life, we are vulnerable to temptation when we are exhausted. Like Peter, who denied his Lord even after he promised to die for him, we are vulnerable to temptation when we are overconfident. In other words, we are vulnerable to temptation practically all the time.”
Phillip Graham Ryken

There is no question about it, I'm vulnerable when I'm exhausted, prideful, overconfident and scared. I'm not as likely to give into the temptations that swirl around me when I'm immersing myself in The Word. It's when I go it alone that the problems start. Looking back at my life, heck looking back at yesterday tells the story.

I snap at those I love when I'm exhausted.
I see things I don't need to see when I'm idle.
Lose a few pounds and forget the struggle it is and overconfidence leads to a "binge."

A REALIZATION came to me after reading this quote, I am VULNERABLE to TEMPTATION practically all the time.

Daunting?

It is, UNTIL I embrace the fact that I can, with the help of a Savior who DIED for ME, overcome each and every temptation that comes down the congested superhighway of life.

Clearly the temptations aren't going away, and THANKFULLY and CONFIDENTLY neither is my God.


No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
1 Corinthians 10:13
We can be confident that Jesus taught us to pray these words as He knew the temptations of this world all too well. And with this in mind, I pray daily the prayer Jesus gave us, with particular attention to the words, "lead me not into temptation, and deliver me from evil."

Reflections:

When do you find yourself most vulnerable to "temptations?"

Spend some time this week paying attention to the times that you "fall" and ask our ever faithful God to help you. Journaling the times I fall to temptations has helped me to learn where my vulnerabilities lie.

Father,
I come to you today knowing that I cannot resist the temptations of life without your constant help in my life. Thank you for always being willing to hear my cries for help. Help me to be ever reliant on YOU, knowing that your plans for me are perfect. I want to live in your will, today and everyday.
Amen









Join Lori daily at her personal blogspot, where at the very least, she daily tries to resist the temptation of the chocolate in the pantry.




Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

I join you in this beautiful prayer my friend.

March 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM  
Blogger Stonefox said...

Lori, I pray that portion of the Lord's prayer for my entire family, that He would keep us from evil within and without. I think it is so powerful and necessary too. Thanks for the encouragment to keep on keeping on.

March 19, 2009 at 5:54 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Great word Lori!

Thanks...

Yes, we are vulnerable to temptation. Especially when our guards are down.

Thank God He always offers "a way of escape", I pray I'm always sensitive to His lead during those times.

Blessings!!

March 19, 2009 at 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good reminder! For further study check out this inductive study of Ephesians 4:1-15

March 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post and just a reminder that there are things in our lives that can lead us away from our Heavenly Father.

March 19, 2009 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Great devotion, Lori. So true. I find myself most vulnerable when I'm not in the Word daily or when I'm around people who are not Christians for an extended period of time. It's tough! But I praise God that He makes a way for us to stand up under it.

March 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Excellent post! It's so true. When I'm grounded in His word daily I'm so much stronger than when I try to do it alone.
Blessings.
Kim

March 20, 2009 at 5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your post. Very creative and thought provoking!

March 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home