Internet Cafe

Friday, March 13, 2009

His Beauty, My Truth


It never ceases to amaze me how movies portray a picture of real life truths. I watched “Penelope” last night. It’s now on my “all-time favorites list”.

Penelope was born with a deformity as a result of a family curse. Her parents confined her to the house to protect her from ridicule. They believed the only way she would break free from the power of the curse was through marriage to one of her kind, someone of nobility. They had to find a man who would want her. Suitors were paraded in while she hid behind a secret window. Once she revealed herself they would run. As the story unfolds, Penelope decides to run away.

She’s done with possible suitors and rejection. She’s weary of her mother’s attempts to give her the life she’s always wanted for her. On her own, Penelope begins to discover who she is. She learns to love herself, the curse is broken and her true beauty is restored.

I love the picture this movie gives. We all come into this world exposed to the curse of sin, a result of the fall. While under sin’s influence people do things that hurt us. We believe things about ourselves that are not true. The result is, we live without seeing our true, God-given beauty. We want desperately to find value. We want to have some type of beauty and meaning to our lives. We find ourselves turning to people, things and even good Godly activities, in hopes that the power of our curse will be broken.

I turned to men. If I could just have a husband then maybe I would feel wanted, loved, accepted. I dated around until my husband was brought to me. Pieces of my heart were left scattered. By the time I married I was a broken woman, looking for someone to remove the curse of rejection. It wasn’t possible. No one could give me that. There was one scene in the movie that really hit me. One man sees Penelope’s inner beauty, but saw himself as a failure because he could not give her what she wanted.

He says, “I didn’t have the power to break the curse.” That was my husband. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t remove the curse of rejection from me. He couldn’t give me the value I so longed for. I almost killed him with my need. Though he tried, my husband could not give me what God asked me to give to myself, His truth of who I am.The best line in the movie is, “It’s not the power of the curse, it’s the power you give the curse.”

Sin cursed us.

It tainted our identity.

But the curse was broken.

Jesus broke every one, yet so often we keep them alive. We’ve been given the newly transplanted heart of Christ. Our old man identity has been crucified with Him. It’s a new day. We can now choose what we will see and live.

The messages brought to us by our own sins and the sins of others are vanquished. We have a new lens to see through. He opens our eyes to His vision.

Will we give a look and see?

We keep the power of the curse alive when we look through eyes that are not His. He sees things differently from what we see. If we saw what He saw, there would be nothing to be insecure about. If we are going to see Him as He is, then we must see us as we are. We must see through His eyes and give ourselves what He asks us to give, love and acceptance.

Penelope broke the power the curse had over her when she accepted herself for who she was. That’s my story. No man could give me the value I so desperately wanted. I received it from God and began to give it to myself. Insecurities drop off when we choose to live in the truth of who God says we are. Sins, mistakes, feelings, do not define us. God does. I am not who I thought I was. I am more, so much more. So are you. Penelope had the power to break through and she didn’t know it, the power lay in loving herself.

It is finished, Jesus said.

All curses are broken.

We are free to live as ones forgiven and loved deeply by our God. He has loved you.

Will you now love yourself?

1. What do you see? Whose eyes are you looking through?

2. What do you say to yourself about you? Is it what He would say? If not, then why would you?

3. Do you ask Him what He sees in you? It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.
Galatians 5:1b


You can find Julie at her blog: Jewelz Sightings


Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Wow, this is a post with a very powerful punch, bless you.

March 13, 2009 at 3:08 AM  
Blogger l said...

I appreciate your insight. I often get lost in what the world sees in me, not what He does. Seems silly in retrospect, but I find myself in that trap often. What beautiful words you gave to it! Blessings~

March 13, 2009 at 4:38 AM  
Blogger Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Beautiful post! So true and now I am intrigued about that movie as well! LOL. I got a 2 for 1 today. A great devotional and a movie review! LOL.
Blessings,
Kim

March 13, 2009 at 5:29 AM  
Blogger Beth in NC said...

What an awesome post Julie. I can relate. We often took to our spouses to give us what we really need from God! It leaves us disappointed and hurts everyone involved.

Thank you for sharing this!

Bless you!

March 13, 2009 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger Kathy Schwanke said...

Julie, beautifully stated. Could I have permission to print and read this to our youth girls?

It seems I just read a book similar to that story, I just cannot remember where...

March 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie! I wonder how many women see their own story in your writing. I know that I see mine.

It seems to me that by simply noticing the sheer number of women who have been (or are) in the same boat, we might get a clue that this "truth" is a major one that the enemy wants to hide from us. He attempts to rain upon us a lifetime of lies so that we will never know this most beautiful of truths about ourselves.

Must be a pretty important truth if he's busy hiding it from so many. Must be worth asking the Father about. Must be.

Thanks again, Julie, for such a clear portrait. Thanks for sharing your story . . . which is my story . . . which is the story of so many - until truth changes things!

love ya,
Darnelle

March 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Kelly L said...

I loved how you turned a movie into an example of needing Christ to give us the love we need and to not look to others first but to Him. Thank you.

March 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger LauraLee Shaw said...

As I mentioned on your blog, wow, this is really encouraging. I feel your love for the heart of your sisters in Christ.

March 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was dealing with buckets of ugliness after my mother passed away last month. This post deeply spoke to my heart.

March 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Julie! This speaks volumes to me---as well as my "runaway-homeagain" daughter.
I too looked for my "self" in men--- or in anything that I thought could take me away from the life I lived. I believe now, partly because my dad left us at such an early age.
I felt abandoned. So from my early teens, I felt that men could not be trusted to "stay".
After a divorce --with a marriage that lasted on 1 1/2 years---to a young man who wanted no part of "family life"---I felt confirmed in what I first believed.
Then I met Jeff. And we later had 2 sweet daughters. And he has stayed.
Though life has been far from perfect---I know he loves me---and puts God first.

March 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home