Internet Cafe

Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I've Been There"

God astounds me.

God takes things that I think are meant for others and uses it to get my attention.

My Girl's Bible Study is doing Vicki Courtney's, His Girl and that week I shared with my girls Bible Study class Hebrews 4:15-16 with them.
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

We spent some time talking about the Jesus that they have in their lives. How THIS Jesus was human and HE was tempted in ALL the ways that they are tempted....

He was tempted to cheat.

He was tempted to lust.

He was tempted to stay mad.

He was tempted by jealousy.

He was tempted to let things steal his joy.

He was tempted IN EVERY WAY, not just in a few ways, EVERY WAY.

I reminded them NEVER to think of Jesus as a "guy" who walked an "easier" path then they do. He didn't. He faced EVERY temptation that they do. "It doesn't say SOME," I told them, "it says EVERY."

Bible study class ended but I took that lesson with me, and it resurfaced in a mighty way.


Jesus was tempted in EVERY WAY?
He was tempted to have a pity party, tempted to get bogged down with life's circumstances, tempted to turn away and take matters into His own hands, tempted to be aggravated?

The other night I was lying in bed praying at 3:00 a.m.
The list went on and on....


Prayers for a friend and fellow dancer of my daughters' who has been diagnosed with leukemia.
Prayers for a grieving friend.
Prayers about a family decision.
Prayers for another grieving family.
Prayers for a friend facing uncertain health issues.
Prayers for a friend whose son phoned her to tell her that one of the men in his Platoon had died in his arms.
Prayers for what apathy in the world.
The list went on....until somewhere around 5:00 a.m.

My spirit weary and my soul sad, I was tempted to let the sadness invade my spirit and keep me from going BOLDLY to the throne. Tempted to greet the day with a cynical view rather than with a spirit of hope and joy. It was sometime that morning, after a talk with my husband about how my spirit felt burdened, that this verse came flooding back to me.
"I've been there sister," Jesus whispered. "REMEMBER what I told you? I've been tempted to let the enemy steal my JOY, tempted to see the glass half full, and tempted to give up hope, tempted to take matters into my own hands and not let the Father lead. I've felt it all, remember I told you that in Hebrews 4:15 -16?"
I smiled with tears in my eyes.

That little reminder changed my perspective.
It changed my day.
It changed my Spirit.
What a gift we've been given. Our Savior FELT each and everything that we feel.

Because of that, He "gets" me.
In that HE gets what I'm feeling, because somewhere, sometime, HE felt it too. That makes me so thankful. Thankful that MY SAVIOR feels and understands me in ways that I can't put into words.

I cling to that.

I pray to one who has felt those very feelings that plague my soul and I leave restored and full of hope. I am ready to face whatever comes at me; praying unceasingly for those who need it.

All because Jesus took the time to remind me that HE felt it all too. He understands.

wow.

Father,
Simply I say thank you. Thank you for sending your Son to live and walk in complete humanness so that HE may understand my heart. In times when I am burdened, HE walks with me. In times when I lose hope, HE picks me up. In times when I feel the enemy stripping my joy and saddening my Spirit, HE whispers to me. Thank you Father for the gift of your Son, Jesus, the Jesus who understands.
Amen








Join Lori daily at her personal blogspot, where she continues to astounded by the graces of God.


Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful and encouraging. I needed this tonight.

February 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In times when I am burdened, HE walks with me. In times when I lose hope, HE picks me up. In times when I feel the enemy stripping my joy and saddening my Spirit, HE whispers to me. Thank you Father for the gift of your Son, Jesus, the Jesus who understands.

February 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Bless you for sharing this, you are very encouraging my friend. I love you.

February 19, 2009 at 3:26 AM  
Blogger LauraLee Shaw said...

Perfectly perfect for my weary soul right now. The Holy Spirit reminded me of this very Truth the other day as I drove to church weeping, confessing and asking for newness of heart. He reminded me that He had felt the same weariness and the same temptation to give up, and that I had more than enough to get me through if I would simply trust. And obey. It was the pick-me-up Sunday of a lifetime. As I walked into the sanctuary, I was already worshipping.

"What a gift we've been given. Our Savior FELT each and everything that we feel.
Because of that, He "gets" me.
In that HE gets what I'm feeling, because somewhere, sometime, HE felt it too. That makes me so thankful. Thankful that MY SAVIOR feels and understands me in ways that I can't put into words.

I cling to that."


Amen.

February 19, 2009 at 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Lori!

February 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.
I can't tell you how greatly I needed to hear this reminder. I've been so bogged down with trials lately. I've been wondering where my joy has went.
Thank you! :D

February 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Clinging to that, too, Lori. Great post and wonderful insight. I'm so glad He spoke to you in this way so that you might encourage us! Awesome devo, my friend.

February 19, 2009 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Lori that was awesome!!! I mean incredible, thanks for sharing!!

February 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Oh Lori...The early a.m. prayers...those are the times God really has lessons for me too.

I gotta send you an e-mail.

February 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Thank you Lori for sharing this incredible post.

It was filled with so much truth, I love your compassionate and giving heart.

I'm so blessed you were able to grab hold of this amazing truth when you needed it the most.

He is so FAITHFUL!!!

Blessings to you my precious friend♥

February 19, 2009 at 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is the friend to the friendless, He is company to the lonely; He's been there and He's gone past there and knows there is hope where most may feel there is no hope!

Very soothing post!! God bless you for sharing that!

February 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home