Internet Cafe

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Boast in the Lord


The Internet Cafe is blessed to have Jenifer from "By His Grace" joining us for coffee today.


Boast in the Lord

"Some boast in chariots, and some in horses; but we will boast in the name of the LORD our God."
Psalm 20:7

The word boast means to have confidence in, to trust in. To boast in God's name means to have confidence in His name. In biblical times a name represented a person's character. God's name represents His character, His attributes, His nature. To know His name is to know Him. To boast in His name is to have confidence in who He is!

There is something interesting I glean from this verse. In times of battle a soldier would enter onto the battle field with his horse and chariot. The horse would go before him, leading him into the battle. The chariot encompassed his body, protecting him from the enemy. This is what I find interesting and so like God. We are daily in a battle; not a physical battle on battle field (although sometimes we fill like it); but, a daily battle with the rulers of darkness, the enemy, Satan (Ephesians 6:12).

Who goes before us? God. Who is preparing the way? God. What did God do for the children of Israel? He went before them in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night (Exodus 13:21). I was reading this morning from Exodus 33 where Moses said to God (I'm paraphrasing here), "I'm not goin' anywhere, unless You go with me." I don't know about you, but I want God going before me; I want Him leading the way.

Another thing about being in this daily battle, somehow, someway we've got to be protected from the enemy. Soldiers used chariots, but I'm afraid I don't have one; do you? So what do we do? We absolutely put on the armor of God (Ephesians 6:14-20). But, we can also be confident in the fact that the Angel o
f the LORD, Jesus Christ Himself, encamps around us (Psalm 34:7). He hedges us in and builds up a fence around us to protect us from the enemy and to keep us from from evil (Job 1:10; Job 3:23; Job 19:8; Lamentations 3:7)

Knowing that God had has gone before me preparing the way and that He's surrounding me, keeping me protected from the enemy gives me reason to boast in my God. Boast in the Lord today for being your protector (Psalm 121:15) and for preparing the way for you (Jeremiah 29:11)

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Really lovely sweetie.

July 2, 2008 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

This is so true. The important thing is to stay behind the Lord as he leads. If we were to stray off the path then we are left completely open to Satan's attacks. It's so important to stay in line with the Lords plan for our lives. And don't forget the armor lol. We need all the help we can get!
Great post!
Blessings,
Kim

July 2, 2008 at 5:29 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

Great, Great, GREAT post! I am ready to soak my shield in the Word of God and pick up my Sword for battle. There are battles going on around us that we can't even see!

Thank you for the encouragement, my friend!

Boasting in the Lord too & singing His praises, Krista

July 2, 2008 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Great post. I needed this today. I am staying behind and I have got to let HIM lead me. Thanks for reminding me that HE is with us, going before us, smoothing the way. I, like you, want God going before me, I need Him to lead the way. Thanks!

July 2, 2008 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Jennifer, great post. It is so encouraging and comforting to know that He is going before us. Therefore we can boast in the Lord. My husband and I are charting to territory in our married life. He is starting a new business. I am comforted and strengthened in the words that "He goes before us".

July 2, 2008 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Your words remind me of the words in Proverbs 3:26...

"for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot form being snared."

I've taken to given him this name over the past few months, especially in those times of uncertainty.

He is my Confidence. Only He is worthy of my trust.

Thanks for sharing~
peace~elaine

July 2, 2008 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Natalie Witcher said...

I'm glad He is the one I can boast in!

July 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger windycindy said...

Thanks for the needed reminder. So many times, I let depression sink in because I don't remind myself that God is all around me. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

July 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Knowing that God had has gone before me preparing the way and that He's surrounding me, keeping me protected from the enemy gives me reason to boast in my God."

That pretty much sums it up Friend!!

July 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home