Internet Cafe

Monday, June 30, 2008

Filtered

Filtered



I’m addicted to water. Nothing makes me happier than a tall glass of ice water. I will admit, however, that I’m a bit of a water snob. Tap water just doesn’t cut it for me. Although it looks just like other water, with its clear look, one sip reveals the chemicals and who knows what else that lurks in it.

Before children arrived in our home, I only drank bottled water. See, I told you I was a water snob! If the day came that we ran out, I would refuse to drink tap water. A trip to the store quickly fed my “bottled water only” addiction.

Now that children grace the floors of our home and money is much tighter than it once was, I have lowered my standards…a little. I now drink filtered water. The house we moved into last year has one of the greatest inventions next to the Internet and blogging…filtered water that magically comes from the refrigerator door!!

Once in a while, however, a terrible thing happens to that water. The filter that takes all the terrible chemical tastes out of my beloved water stops working. The result is a less than appetizing liquid that tastes like…gasp....tap water!!

Thankfully we have a spare filter that, if quickly changed, restores order to our otherwise tranquil, water-loving home.

That filter has an incredible ability to remove the impurities that pollute the water. It restores it to its original pure, clean state. As a result, my taste buds are eternally grateful.

It’s easy to settle into life as a “tap water” Christian. It can even be accidental. You look the same on the outside but deep inside there are impurities that linger, only to leave a bitter taste to your spirit.

Things like unconfessed sins and impure motives pollute our hearts. They seem innocent enough in the beginning, but eventually they actually rob Jesus of the intimacy that He craves with us.

Throughout my walk with Jesus, when those little things crept in, I viewed them from a perspective of how they affected me. While they do have a dire effect on my spiritual health, I’ve also come to realize they rob my Savior of something He wants more than anything. A clean heart. A close relationship with me.

Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.
1 John 3:3

When we allow things that don’t honor Him to creep in and take up residence in our hearts, He tries to come in for a visit with us but can’t even find a spot to put His sandals!

Just like that water filter that I compulsively run my water through each day, we need to go to His feet and throw out all of the things that are floating around in our hearts that deprive us of the connection we both long for.

So often we make our walk with Him so complicated. We’re too tired for church on Sunday. Prayer and Bible study can’t be worked into our hectic schedules. Our choice of TV programs is questionable. Putting His priorities first in our lives seems impossible. Little by little those impurities creep in and we are left with nothing but a “tap water” walk.

He grieves, longing to clean us like no other filter can.

How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! Hebrews 9:14

Question for Reflection:

What things are “floating around” in your heart, robbing Jesus of the intimacy with you that He so deeply craves?




Daily you can find Robyn and her water at her personal blogspot, Overflowing Grace.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger windycindy said...

Hi, I enjoyed your analogy between tap water/unclean and the impure things that may be in us that need filtering out. I am glad that God knows my heart and the real me. I can't imagine not having him to speak with. Thanks.....Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

June 30, 2008 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Thanks for this, bless you.

June 30, 2008 at 1:39 AM  
Blogger Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Great analogy! I too am a water snob and just like our physical bodies we need to make sure that what goes into our spiritual bodies is just as pure. Great post!
Blessings,
Kim

June 30, 2008 at 6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as someone whose just moved onto the farm and we have fresh well water... i can totally relate to this post!

June 30, 2008 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful analogy for the relationship God wants to have with us! Let that water, which is His living water, spring forth to refresh, renew, and revive our spirits each day! What a blessing!

Lily L. Ratliff
http://alilyslife.wordpress.com

June 30, 2008 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I just finished reading Rob Bell's book "Velvet Elvis". In one chapter something that struck me was when he said, "we can either bring the kingdom of Heaven or the kingdom of Hell to earth in our lives. The kingdom of Heaven is that which is of the Spirit.
The kingdom of Hell is that which is of the flesh.

That struck a chord in me.

Thanks for sharing your heart.

Julie

June 30, 2008 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Good stuff! I'll never look at a glass of water the same!

June 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger LauraLee Shaw said...

From one water snob to another, this was a perfect analogy for me. Thank you so much for sharing your insights.

July 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Edie said...

Well, I can't really call myself a water snob, but I loved your analogy Robyn! Definetly worth pondering over. Thanks! (edie7777 at tx dot rr dot com)

July 1, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home