Internet Cafe

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A New Name

A New Name


I've just returned from an anniversary vacation in the Black Hills of South Dakota. My husband and I set up our camp in the shadow of the cliffs where the movie "Dances with Wolves" was filmed. The red and white limestone rose high above our heads reminding us of that defining moment in the movie: when Wind in his hair shouts from the top of the cliff that he is a true friend to Dances with wolves (Kevin Costner's character). So, of course, we had watch the movie again to enjoy the scenery and the poignant story set in a tumultuous time in history.

In the movie, John Dunbar was assigned to a post in the middle of Dakota territory all alone. Over the course of time, he meets the Sioux people and becomes friends with them. He eventually becomes a part of their community, taking on a Sioux name and living among them.

Because of his friendship with the Native people, he was considered a traitor and hunted down by the army. As he smoked his pipe in the buffalo tent of the tribe's chief, he expressed his concern for all of the people and for his own life. The Sioux chief replied, "The white man the soldiers are looking for no longer exists. Now there is only a Sioux named Dances With Wolves." He himself admitted that he never really knew who John Dunbar was, but after hearing his Sioux name called out over and over, he understood who he really was.

Revelation 2:17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says
to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I
will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to
him who receives it.

I wonder if it will be like that when we get to heaven. We are promised a new name and we belong to a new people (a unique kingdom). One day we will hear our names called out and we will recognize them because they will define us. I don't know what those names will sound like but here are a few ideas:

daughter of the king, beloved, child of God, pure, innocent, lovely...

You are no longer that person who used to live in sin. You are no longer that woman of guilt and shame. You are no longer named by your failures or past mistakes. You have a new name and God is hiding it on His heart until He meets with you face to face.

Just like John Dunbar, we have undergone a transformation and changed not only our names, but also our allegiance from one nation to another. We no longer belong to this world, but instead look forward to our eternal home while realizing we are just traveling through. We look forward to resting one day in our TRUE home.
I think God shouts out from the top of the cliffs, "Daughter of mine, I am your friend. I will always be your friend. Do you hear me?"


Questions for Reflection:

*What are some names that God gave to people in the Bible? If you have a study Bible, you can find out that names almost always have a meaning in Scripture.

*Does your name have any personal meaning? Use a search engine to find out the history of your name. It might surprise you.

*What do you think God might name you now that you have joined His people? Would He call you, "Sings My Praises," or "Shares My Joy" or perhaps "Shines my Light"?

Come visit me...

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

I enjoyed this post, bless you sweet one.

July 1, 2008 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Great post! I had to look my name up since you told me to, haha! It means leader of warriors. Somehow I feel a bit stronger right now lol. I would love to hear the Lord call me "shares my joy" but I believe I'll probably hear Him say something more along the lines of "Come to me oh one with an over-abundance of goofyness!" I always told my husband, if I should die before him all I want on my tombstone is "She Laughed" That pretty much sums me up. Thank you for the post!
Blessings,
Kim

July 1, 2008 at 5:30 AM  
Blogger Tracy P. said...

These are beautiful thoughts. My mom always used to say, "If we could only see ourselves as others see us!" Which could be a good thing or a bad thing. But how seldom we really stop to ponder how God sees us. I wonder how the Kingdom of God here and now would be transformed if we had this perspective, walking in both the humility and confidence (in him) afforded by the renewing of our minds. Awesome food for thought!

July 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Jnett said...

I long to hear, welcome faithful servant or more precisely...well done my faithful servant. I happen to find your place through a suggestion to come see the recent drawing. It was late, but I wanted to check you out anyway. I considered signing up for the daily stuff and then realized that would be silly. I don't get to my email nearly enough. My main box has over 850 in it right now and about 350 of those unread (and that's my must do email) my throw-aways are even worse. Thank you for the lovely thoughts/observations/questions today.

Jeannette aka Jnett

July 1, 2008 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger LauraLee Shaw said...

OH, How I long to hear what my Heavenly Daddy and magnificent King will say...I think I will daydream about it today. What a beautiful, beautiful devotion.

July 1, 2008 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Natalie Witcher said...

My name means "Christmas Child." He totally knew what he was doing there. maybe in heaven my new name will be uh, "okay, we'll keep it Christman child since you like it so much!" Good thoughts!

July 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Salute said...

We all has sin and come short of the glory of God.

July 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

I feel God spoke to me through some words in this. Thank you - made me cry though.

July 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger Edie said...

Oh I loved this, thank you so much Heather! I have always been intrigued by the signifigance God gives a name, and that He chose to name, or rename, so many in the Bible. What could be more special? Look at how much thought we as parents put into chosing a name for our own kids that will set them apart from everyone else.

My blog name came about because the meaning of my name is Rich Gift so of course I have posted about names a couple of times. I so long to hear Him speak my name. Whether it's this one or a new one that He chooses to give me, I can't imagine anything sounding sweeter. Thank you again. This was such a blessing!

So you didn't mention what the meaning of your name is...?
(edie7777 at tx dot rr dot com.)

July 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger windycindy said...

Hi, My name Cynthia is one of the names of the goddess of the Moon, Artemis. Thanks for a very inspiring post. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

July 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I have loved hearing Papa call me names. There is something about hearing those words to your heart that you always longed to know. He loves to tell us what He thinks about us.

Thanks for sharing this.
Julie

July 1, 2008 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Heather,

This was just great. I'm so blessed you got to get away with your hubby, what a romantic place to share your Anniversary. By the way, I'm sorry I did not wish you guys a Happy Anniversary♥

Dances with Wolves is right up there as one of my all time favorite movies. I saw so many things in that movie that were spiritual.

I loved his faithfulness to his command, even though there was no one to notice.

I'd love to hear God call me "one who encouraged", or a "woman of compassion."

Thanks once again for such a great devotional. I look forward to all your posts~

Be blessed my sweet friend.

July 1, 2008 at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home