Internet Cafe

Friday, May 11, 2007

The Shelter of the Most High


I sat at the edge of the lake while my children played happily in the water nearby. Suddenly a shadow fell across my face. I looked up just in time to see the sun disappearing behind a big dark cloud. High in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, I had been told that often times a sudden down pour of rain could occur in the middle of a beautiful sunny afternoon. Before I could collect my three oldest children and run for shelter, the heavens opened and a down pour of rain came hard and very heavy. I was amazed how quickly the storm had gathered.
Thinking back to that day with all of us huddled together in the shelter wrapped in our wet towels with the clouds moving over us, my mind shouting the name, "Jesus!" always reminds me of another storm.

On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, "Let us go across to the other side." 36And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. 38But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" 39And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40He said to them, "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?" 41And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, "Who then is this, that even wind and sea obey him?" ( Mark 4:35-41 ESV)

Storms arise unexpectedly in our lives, too. A telephone call brings sudden jolting news. A letter brings disappointment. A child has an accident. A small pain develops into a serious illness. Or maybe the source of distress is just the everyday pressures and tensions that build and build until the dark cloud erupts into a storm.

I, too, have had my share of storms. Some have been brief afternoon showers. Others have been caused by tensions that have built up, threatening my serenity and peace. Still others have burst upon my life suddenly, hitting hard and leaving in their wake damage and debris. Like the disciples I have been afraid and have cried out, “Lord, don’t you care?” And later, when all is calm again, I hear Him say, “Chris, why do you have so little faith?”

He has never promised a life free from storms, but he has promised to be with us in the midst of them and to bring us safely to the other side. Psalm 91 is a triumphant song of faith. In it we learn that God is our dwelling place. It’s under His shelter that we are to abide. Join me now and read through Psalm 91. Read it again and again over the next several days. Your life and even the storm will not look the same.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91 :1 (you can continue reading here)



In Him...Chris




Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Beautifully said, thank you.

May 11, 2007 at 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isnt it reassuring that He will stick with us through the storms of our lives and see us through. Thank you Lord for being faithful

May 11, 2007 at 1:43 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

We've had a series of rain storms here lately, complete with lightning and thunder. When the sun finally does come out, it's amazing to me how clean the air smells, how lush and green everything looks.

I wonder if God doesn't use the storms in my life to clear my air and make my life a little more beautiful?

Thanks for provoking this thought for me today!

May 11, 2007 at 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

Lovely. Psalm 91 is one of my favorite passages. Thank you for the beautiful picture and sharing from your heart.

May 11, 2007 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

This reminds me of Mercy Me's song "Jesus Bring the Rain"...Comforting thoughts..:))

May 11, 2007 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Amen! The Key during the storms is to know it will be sunny once again, and to keep looking up eyes transfixed on Him. Beautiful post.

May 11, 2007 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

A beautiful devotional Chris. I have read through that Psalm often in the past few years as a storm broke over our lives with terrible intensity. Sometimes it's hard to see Him for the storm, but He truly is always there.
Thank you for this wonderful reminder.

May 11, 2007 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Such a wonderful reminder, Chris. I once heard a saying, "At every moment in our lives we're either coming out of a trial, in the midst of a trial, or about to enter into a trial."

I want to have faith in God's presence and love in all of those moments!

May 11, 2007 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

What a beautifully written post, Chris. Thank you so much for directing us to Psalm 91. I will read it many times in the days to come... this is so timely! Thank you for this awesome reminder.

May 13, 2007 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

Every time I read Psalm 91 I am reminded of the song "On Eagles Wings" - All Psalms are always a comfort to me. But I will as you mentioned, read Psalm 91 this up-coming week in addition to my daily Bible readings...

Thank you Chris for this wonderful up-lifting devotion.

Be blessed today and always.

May 14, 2007 at 1:12 AM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Love the encouragment, Chris. Thanks!

May 14, 2007 at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home