Internet Cafe

Sunday, September 27, 2009

No Substitutes

The Internet Cafe is welcoming Kristen Shockley today!
We are


I pivoted on my heels, turning to gather food for bedtime snacks and careful not to upset Benjamin who was camped out at my ankles. The routine was the same as many evenings past, but this night, he whimpered and reached. I stepped around him to grab a block of cheese. He crawled after me and I gingerly closed the refrigerator door, tiptoeing over him to pull crackers from the cabinet.



As I arranged the napkins and cups of water on the counter, Benjamin continued to rub his head against my legs to remind me of his presence. I considered picking him up and continuing my task with one arm…but then my attention would be divided between snacks and baby care. I knew he was okay and if he could wait the few minutes until I was done, the rewards would be better.



My husband, Brian was watching nearby. After settling the older children around the table, he knelt down with extended arms to the little guy at my feet. Brian was offering immediate comfort while I busily finished the food prep. Benjamin considered the proposition, then turned from him and continued to gaze up at me. Brian commented, "He would rather sit at your feet than accept a substitute!"


And a picture formed in my mind...


Should not I be as Benjamin?

Should not I be determined to wait for the One who has everything I need?

Why is it so easy for me to be distracted, to turn from the One knows me, who created me… and accept the comforts of now? The world is waiting, with arms open wide, enticing me with what it thinks I want, right now.



But if I have the patience to wait, my Lord offers so much more! "I seek you with all my heart...my soul is consumed with longing." Psalm 119:10, 20 NIV



I continued my dance around the kitchen floor, two steps here, three steps there, carefully avoiding my waiting boy. And as the “thank you, Mamas” echoed around the table and snacks were consumed, I tenderly scooped up my Benjamin. I kissed his head as he buried it in my shoulder. I wiped his cheeks as the last few tears spilled from his eyes.



Lord, give me the patience and tenacity of Benjamin. Help me to wait at Your feet. Even when the world offers a quick answer, let me accept Your timing, knowing You hold everything I need.



May we all be as Benjamin. Accepting no substitutes. Waiting at the feet of Jesus, desperate for Him.


Gazing, yearning...



Kristin


Kristin has been married to Brian, her best friend, confidant, and inspiration, for eight years and has four children who are continually teaching her in the little moments. You can visit her at http://from-my-life.blogspot.com.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous HisFireFly said...

What wise and true words and a great reminder!

Thank you!

September 27, 2009 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

God bless you.

September 27, 2009 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger CeeCee said...

Just what I needed today. Thank you.

September 28, 2009 at 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

This is my FAVORITE post of all time... I even talk about it Bible study. You are so talented Kristin... and your heart for the King is so encourgaing!!

You are a STAR today!!

Blessings-
Amanda

September 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Laurel@FromMyHeartToYours said...

WOW! Tears spilled from my own eyes as I read this. Thank you so much for sharing this little piece of your heart and home with us here! What a blessing.

Jesus, pour Yourself evermore inot Kristin and her family today. Where there are feelings of overwhelmedness - give her peace and grace. Where there are moments of busy-ness in her day - remind her of the mighty task You have blessed her with and reveal to her how to leave evermore into You.
In Jesus' name, AMEN

Hugs from Canada

September 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Marie said...

"Even when the world offers a quick answer, let me accept Your timing, knowing You hold everything I need."

Thank you so much for your post. So often we want things when we want it, but if we just wait for Him, He will pour out such a blessing to us.

www.InspiringChristianStories.com

September 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, my goodness. Benjamin. (((sweet boy))) Accept no subsitutes... I'm echoing it softly today. Thank you, my friend!

October 2, 2009 at 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

My own Benjamin continues to teach me such precious lessons. Your transparency blesses.

October 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home