Internet Cafe

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

7 Abominations

These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil,
A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren.

~ Proverbs 6:16-19


‘Mom, look at that lady!’, my daughter smugly exclaimed, ‘she’s smoking a cigarette!’. The statement pierced my heart as I saw the ‘face of unsure’ upon the woman’s countenance. I know she heard my child’s blatant expression of disapproval. The LORD quickened my spirit, as well as my tongue. I herded the children into the vehicle and turned and smiled apologetically at the woman. I then explained to my daughter that our LORD deeply loves this woman created in His image - just as He loves us - even while a cigarette hangs from the woman’s lips.


‘Do you remember the seven abominations that our LORD hates?’, I asked my daughter who had recently memorized that particular verse due to abomination number two. ‘Smoking is not one of them....but a proud look is’, I said.


After this incident, I realized that my sweet daughter’s childish retort is not far removed from many in our congregations today. I asked our Heavenly Father if this is what He sees in His children more often than not. The legalistic religious crowd had Scripture memorized, too, but their lives were void of The Spirit of Love. Therefore, their lives turned away and condemned many from the very God of Love they professed to follow.


Sweet Daughters of The Most High, do any one of these seven abominations rule your life? Only one abomination is needed to begin our walk away from our Redeemer and LORD.


What do your face, your tongue, your hands, your heart, your feet, your witness and your actions reveal about your standing before our Great Judge? Peter reminds us that judgement begins with the household of God (1 Peter 4:17). I find it so amazing that Peter goes on (2 Peter 1:5-11) to reveal in The Spirit SEVEN Godly attributes that we are to ADD to our faith:


‘...with all diligence, add to your faith, virtue (goodness), to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly-kindness, and to brotherly-kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.’

May we add these to our faith today and may we each remember those things our LORD delights in - “lovingkindness, judgement & righteousness in the land, in these things I delight,” says The LORD (Jer. 9:22-23).

There is abundant grace and hope available for the smoker and the proud alike. Blessed be The Name of ADONAI forever!


I'd love your company at Women of the WORD!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Celee said...

It's easier to "hide" sins like pride and being divisive. They're often done behind the backs of others. Of course, Satan's sin was that of pride. I like to think of it as the sin that started it all and it is in many ways at the root of other sins.

Thank you for the wonderful reminder that we should search ourselves first for sin.

Celee
http://miscellaneousmusings-x.blogspot.com

September 9, 2009 at 7:09 AM  
Blogger Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for sharing a great example how you applied biblical principle to teach your child and us! I think people of today's church can easily forget these truths and let pride cloud our vision of the world. Great job! I love that passage in 2 Peter!

September 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

This really hit home with me - good stuff - straight shooting! A reminder of GOD'S view of our inward and outward natures! Thank you for sharing this!

September 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home