Internet Cafe

Monday, September 17, 2007

Simply Believe

“Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy.”
~ Psalm 103:2-4 (ESV)

Working with over 600 employees at the corporate office (300 in the accounting department), I come in contact with many different faiths. One of my coworker’s I work-side-by-side is Muslim—a devout Muslim. Since this is the month of Ramadan, he is fasting from sunrise to sundown. He is also expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam as well as refraining from anger, envy, greed, lust, sarcastic retorts, backbiting, and gossip.

Driving to work the other day, I though about my own faith. My co-worker’s faith is based on his own works to make it to heaven. Do you realize that Christianity is the only faith on this earth that is not based on works of an individual? All we have to do is to believe. Believe that the work has been done by one Man—Jesus Christ. He stretched out His arms to remove our sins – as far the east is from the west…

“He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.”
~ Psalm 103:10-12 (ESV)

It still amazes me every single day how gracious our Lord is. Even though I have sinned and continue to sin, He removes every single stain to make me white as snow. I don’t deserve His goodness—He continues to love me. His love brings me to tears every single day—I don’t know how to thank Him for that.

Although I am not required to do works, I still want to refrain from anger, envy, greed, lust, sarcastic retorts, backbiting, and gossip. Not because it is my ‘ticket’ to heaven, but I want to thank Him for His sacrifice.

As for my co-worker, I pray for him. I pray that he will get curious about me own faith. That maybe one day he will ask me questions what Christianity is all about? I am ready for his questions…

Lord of Heaven and Earth. I want to thank You today for Your love. You don’t require works from me to spend eternity with You. You have accomplished it at the cross. Lord, I ask You today to open the hearts of the ones who do not know You yet. Give me the words to share, to point to the cross. In the precious name of Jesus I pray ~ Amen.

Do you know Him yet? Do you want to know more about Him and His saving grace? If you are ready to give Him your life, please visit our “Ready” page.



You can also find me at my personal blog Sting My Heart

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Such a heartfelt post, thanks for sharing Iris.

September 17, 2007 at 5:13 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I am so thankful for His steadfast love! Thanks for the reminder of not only all that Christ has done for us, but how that should affect our everyday choices!

September 17, 2007 at 6:36 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Amen, it is not based on what we do but what He did! And because we feel so unworthy and want to live our life for him, we try to become like him through the the fruit of the spirit. Like my pastor said this Sunday, "..sure we can sqeek it by into heaven, and yes we will return all the crowns and gold back to Jesus. So what is the use of working hard and gaining rewards in heaven? I don't know about you, but I want mine to BE THE BIGGEST!"

Great reminder this Monday morning.

September 17, 2007 at 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Iris. Sometimes I think we get so used to our salvation that we forget the wonder that it is.

In Eph. 2, after telling us in vv. 8-9 that our salvation isn't based in our works, Paul goes on to say, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." God has ordained good works for believers to do -- not to earn salvation, as you said so well -- but out of love for Him and service to Him and to further His kingdom and to fulfill out part in the body of Christ.

September 17, 2007 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Amen---and ditto!
Iris you hit the target square on! We have dicussed some details in our Sunday School class a couple of months ago. I am so thankful that we have a Father in heaven that loves us so much to reach down and impact our lives through the very life of His Son.
If it were by works....I would fail most miserably. Thankful for His Grace....which is ever sufficient to meet my needs and guide my steps...everyday!
This was a great article!

September 17, 2007 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Roo said...

love to you iris! enjoyed your post. it encouraged my heart.

September 17, 2007 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger Sharon Brumfield said...

Thank you for that info on Ramadan. I have some friends who are Muslim and I have been praying for them for years. It is sad to realize that Muslims will never know if they are going to make it into their "heaven". There is no assurance of salvation. Allah is also not a god of love. No where does their scripture tell them that their god loves them. Sad.
It does make me love and appreciate the one I serve.
Thank you for this post.

September 17, 2007 at 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iris,

This is awesome. I don't know how people cope with trying to earn a place in heaven. The stress and uncertainty must be excruciating. Fantastic Post.

September 18, 2007 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I love how you view your workplace as a mission field...work is not a deterrent from ministry but a place for it!

much love to you, iris!

Lisa

September 19, 2007 at 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home