Internet Cafe

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Blessed Interruptions

I find that things out of the ordinary intrigue human beings. Having a picnic on the living room floor, sleeping in the family room with the kids, or visiting a new park are all things that appeal to us because they take us away from the norm and bring variety into our lives.

I try to surprise the kids a few times each school year by showing up at the school and taking them out to lunch. Today was that day. "Get in the car, Babies!" I hollered while we all piled in, excited to explore any road leading from the dullness of same-old-same-old.

I passed our friends truck, and gave them a wave yelling, "We'll meet you guys there!" But as I did, I was stopped by her frantic wave urging me to stop.

We had an issue, and since my mechanic background is limited to the occasional lift of a hood (once to be exact), we were pretty much stuck. My friend’s key was locked in the ignition. It wouldn't turn over--it wouldn't pull out--it wouldn't do anything but remain where it was. All of the kids were excited to go, but it was obvious that we had a big problem to deal with.

It turns out that instead of going to McDonald's as planned, I had to rush through the drive through and get back to the school with food for both families. We ended up sitting together in the kindergarten room while the car with the key remained on the street. It wasn't our ideal lunch date, but it certainly was a road that led from the dullness of same-old-same-old.

If I hadn't slowed down to notice, I would have missed my friend completely, who would have then been stranded with three kids and no lunch. This wasn’t a major issue in either of our lives, but it did get me thinking about the major issues that I do pass by.

Interruptions are a wonderful gift from God. They're the moments that not only remind us that we're not alone in this world, but also that we have opportunities to serve those around us.

Our days are filled with endless opportunities, but too often we rush by, never slowing down enough to take note of a need. One way to change this is to make request in our prayer lives to have an ever-growing desire to serve those in need. Eyes to see what others would miss; ears to hear the cry of ones heart, and hands to hold on to another in pain.

“And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.”
~ Luke 10:30-37

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Great post! A wonderful reminder to slow down and watch for the needs of others as I rush through my own "agenda" each day! Thanks!

September 13, 2007 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Bless you sweetie.

September 14, 2007 at 12:55 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Amen, sometimes the interruptions leads to the greatest blessings. I try not to be annoyed when things don't go my way.

Blessings.

September 14, 2007 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darlene,

Again love your stories about your life with the kids. This one is especially touching.

It is in the daily living I see our God the most active. Wonderful

September 14, 2007 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I don't know how I missed this? Maybe God just meant for me to read it today as I beat myself up for being to busy to be mindful of others..

wonderful example..:)

Lisa

September 20, 2007 at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home