Internet Cafe

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Take Heart

Heart, take heart!

I know I am not the only one who needs to speak such words to that traitorous organ, for it makes promises it does not keep, yes?

Young heart staunchly declares independence: I don’t need anyone! Then one dark evening, as the deadbolt is locked, a new and frightening rhythm of loneliness taps throughout our being.

Despairing heart vows to build a breach-less wall and never love again, then pounds out a rhythm of betrayal when a dear friend hurdles the makeshift barrier and changes everything. Forever.

When loss penetrates and then passes, heart soothingly whispers, I am whole again...never fear... And days later, nay moments, a reminder of that loss sweeps over and heart cracks and crumbles, emitting scarcely a quiet thump to indicate that life ever existed at all.

It is treacherous, this heart of mine.

It holds patterns akin to the weather - cold and brittle one moment, warm and comforting the next.

Heart, take heart! I know there are ups and downs, I prepare for them! But heart, you are so easily swayed, and you take me with you.

Let us not make empty promises to each other, shall we?

Do not be quick with your mouth,
do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God.
God is in heaven and you are on earth,
so let your words be few. (Ecclesiastes 5:2)
Let us number our words and speak truth together! Let us behold the mighty hand of God working in us and in those around us, and cling to His promises, His goodness.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. (Psalm 27:13)
Let the winds buffet. Heart, take heart!

Let the waters threaten. Heart, take heart!

And take refuge.

In the Hands that will sustain a steady rhythm and shelter us when life bullies.

Take heart!



You are always welcome at my little place - A Path Made Straight

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Left to our own devices, we are so desperately lost..yes? Clinging to His promises, HE will show me the way. Thank You, Elise, you have been such an encouragement to me as I watch you testify about your Lord and how He has brought you through...moving...loss...God Bless You..

September 8, 2007 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Maxine said...

Needing these words now, Elise. Thank you.

September 8, 2007 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Beka said...

My heart needed this tonight... thank you. The Lord is teaching me even now that my very sensitive heart needs to rely on HIM alone.

Be still my soul,
When dearest friends depart
And all is darkened in the vale of tears
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears
Be still my soul, thy Jesus can repay
From His own fulness all He takes away.

Praying for you... may He strengthen your heart and heal it from the hurts you are dealing with right now.

And thank you.

September 8, 2007 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Heart, take heart... beat with His. Stay with His steady rhythm. You are not alone. You beat out a duet, and He knows all the notes. So take heart, dear heart.

Beautiful, ((Elise)), with such a heart...
My love,
Ann

September 8, 2007 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Ah yes, that traitorous organ. Elise, I have had experiences with my own. Your words gave me a glimpse into what your heart is feeling at this time, but as always, as you cling to your Savior, you urge us to do the same. May his grace wash over you and leave you refreshed in those dark moments. With all the love I can pack into a short comment, Bev.

September 8, 2007 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

How often my own heart betrays me! Beautiful Elise..:)

Lisa

September 10, 2007 at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home