Internet Cafe

Friday, July 13, 2007

Sometimes Good Enough is Good Enough

Reading blogs can be so inspiring, can't it? It can also be thought-provoking, relaxing, entertaining, and even... intimidating. Yes, intimidating! It's easy to read blogs from so many different women, each expressing one or more of her gifts, and come away from it feeling like you're not doing enough. Your closets are not as clean as hers. Your weekly menu (if you even know what it is yet!) is not as creative as hers. Your scrapbook pages (okay, you don't scrapbook, but even if you did) don't look like hers. Just look at how many pounds she's lost! Oh, my goodness, she's read that many books this year? I've never read that many in my life! Oh, and she sings. Of course she does. And on and on it goes. Different blogs, different women, but it's so easy to make it into one Composite Super Woman to whom we just don't measure up! We do it in real life ("irl") too, don't we? (Sometimes I think we put the "irl" in "girlfriends!") I've fallen victim countless times to one of my biggest enemies- comparison. I think all women are prone to it at one time or another.

I'd like to share with you something I read this week from the book I Can't Do It all! Breaking Free From the Lies That Control Us by authors Tracie Peterson, Allison Bottke, and Diane O'Brian. (This excerpt is written by O'Brian):

"You see, I made the decision some years ago that I would spend my housekeeping time more profitably if I concentrated on things I did well- cleaning, organizing, sewing, washing, mowing, shoveling, ironing, mending, and repairing. Cooking wasn't my strong suit, so I kept that at a minimum. My family has been great about it. It's not like we live on fast food. We eat well even though I don't make big efforts in that direction. Realizing that it's not one of my gifts, I released myself from the expectation of being a great cook. We just don't have time to do everything with excellence. The sooner we learn that, the sooner we can break free from the lie."

"We all must make our individual decisions based on God's leading for each of us. Not only should we not attempt to do it all, but we should not feel a sense of guilt when we can't do what others expect of us. Sometimes we put those expectations on ourselves. The truth is, many of our friends would trade a skill they have for one of ours." (emphasis added)

We don't have to be good at it all. Sometimes good enough is good enough in certain areas. We can choose to focus on what we do best and release ourselves from unrealistic expectations. Let's lighten up on ourselves and be who God created and gifted us to be!

God, thank you for the ways in which you have gifted me. Forgive me for envying the gifts of others. If there are any areas in which you want to grow or increase my gifts, I invite you to do so, for Your glory. But, help me not to neglect the gifts I have and waste the moments available for me to use them by spending unnecessary time feeling guilty or inadequate. I can do all things through Christ... all the good works You prepared in advance for me to do, with the set of gifts You have so graciously given me. Thank You, Father. Amen.



I'd love for you to visit my "good enough" personal blog, One Day More.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Bless you precious Cyndi.

July 12, 2007 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger Pearls of Wisdom said...

Dear Cyndi,

That was a wonderful post and prayer .

In his endless love,

Angel ():)

July 13, 2007 at 12:49 AM  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

Thank you, Cyndi!

I really needed this! :o)

July 13, 2007 at 6:23 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

What a great encouragement! That I don't have to give myself a hernia trying do it all perfectly when the truth is, in the case of housework, mostly done is better than perfectly done. How liberating! I may need to read that book.

July 13, 2007 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger mandy said...

oh this makes me nervous.... i'm a perfectionist musician wife cook friend librarian and i don't really like it when i can't give it my best...... but i'll try to grasp the freedom in this post. i probably would be less frustrated in life if i cut myself some slack!
heaven help me

July 13, 2007 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

You took my breath away on this one, this is a trap I too fall into.

Thank you for this encouragement and reminder!!

July 13, 2007 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger lori said...

If only we could live in the quiet confidence that "many of our friends would trade a skill they have for one of ours." How easily we forget. I LOVE that...thanks for the encouraging words...we can't do it all...all we can do is gracefully do what HE asks of us...each gift is different, as HE intended!
Blessings and Peace

July 13, 2007 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

you hit it right on the head cyndi...this is one of those posts that all of us can relate to whether we want to admit it or not...i can't tell you the number of blogs I read and think, 'well, it's time for me to quit now!" :))

thanks for calling me out!

love ya!

Lisa

July 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger BellaColle said...

Thank you for the reminder! I've been guilty of that myself this week! Even comparing myself to Proverbs 31...God's word say that I am fearfully and woderfully made! even if I can't scrapbook...lol.

July 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Cyndi, I have been mulling over writing a devotional on just this very subject. You have done it so well - I don't have to. I have been a victim of this all of my life. There is much wisdom for me here. Thanks so much.

July 13, 2007 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

What an excellent encouraging post!

There are no supermoms! We are all just sinners relying on the grace of God and giving it our best. But, we fail...and when I mess up...it is UGLY!

But, God's grace is enough.

Thank you for that reminder.

kim

July 16, 2007 at 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Cyndi,

Great post. I wish I had read something like this when I was a young woman. What a difference it would have made.

I pray some young mom reads this and it frees her today.

Well done!

July 17, 2007 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger Domino said...

I just found this blog. What great timing!

This post really picked me up - right when I needed it.

Thanks Cyndi!

July 17, 2007 at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home