Internet Cafe

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Impossible!

Some things seem impossible us.

I watched the Da Vinci code again last night. I'd seen it before but Hubby hadn't, so I sat and watched it with him. I noticed something this time that I hadn't noticed before. Tom Hanks' character, and most of the non-religious characters in the movie, were on a single-minded quest to prove Jesus was a mere mortal man, married and a father to boot. So, they're in search of the Holy Grail which, at one point, they determine to be Mary Magdalene. And all the suspense and drama and chases and murders and betrayals and other movie stuff revolve around finding Mary Magdalene's sarcophagus. So they can somehow confirm that Jesus was human.

What's interesting to me is that in the final scene of the movie, Tom Hanks figures out where Mary is, goes to the point on the planet where he determines the elusive sarcophagus to be, kneels and prays.

So - and please correct me if I'm off here - it seems to me these off-the-rickter-scale IQ characters went to a lot of trouble, placed themselves in a lot of danger avoiding the police and the Opus Dei, and even crossed borders without purses or passports in order to prove Jesus was human. So they could worship ... someone else.

One more time, this time with feeling...

Folks who refuse to acknowledge Jesus as God and worship Him as God, are going to substitute another god in there instead. It's what we do. If it's not Jesus, it will be someone or something else. Mary, Buddah, Krishna, Mohamed, money, celebrities, our kids, our ministries, our pets, our hobbies...Wherever our time, energy and money go pretty much points to what we worship.

And the reason we choose another god besides Jesus is because, ultimately, we worship ourselves. Believing we can do nothing to merit or earn eternal life is ridiculous, to our way of thinking. And so, we must be enlightened, say X-number of prayers each day, light some candles, have phat bank accounts and perfect kids that never say THAT word or watch THAT TV show, do this or do that... Because it's just too much to think that we can do absolutely nothing at all to merit salvation. So, we decide on what we are going to worship and that is where we bow our mental knee.

Because His grace is just impossible for us to truly understand. Or is it?

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." Mark 10:23




Carol's blog can be found here.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Beck said...

The Da Vinci Code is just so goofy on so many levels!

July 11, 2007 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Carol, I've never seen the movie, but that is a great observation you had of the characters. And the sad thing is we don't even realize we are doing this. Or we don't want to admit we are doing this. Major denial going on. And in a society that totally promotes self-worship I find I must be on guard that I keep Jesus as the focus of my worship and not let self get in the way.

July 11, 2007 at 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie either, but I am intrigued by that outcome. Your thoughts are so true, people will worship something or someone, most often self in some way. As Susanne said, I need to be on constant guard because self keeps wanting to usurp the throne.

July 11, 2007 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

"And the reason we choose another god besides Jesus is because, ultimately, we worship ourselves." Amen...

We want a god we can control, but I praise God I serve a God that is Bigger and unfathomable!

July 11, 2007 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Such a great post, and very true.

July 11, 2007 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Aunt Angie said...

I haven't seen the movie either...several where I work read the book, said it was good...I like the way you laid it out...I think my life will be okay if I don't see the movie....thanks for sharing all of that. Your points and thoughts were right on target with the way things are in life.
Great post!
Blessings to you!

July 11, 2007 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Susannah said...

A good word Carol. You've reminded me of a truism: "Folks who refuse to acknowledge Jesus as God and worship Him as God, are going to substitute another god in there instead." In thinking about the OT Israelites, God was forever calling them back from pagan polytheism.

Modern society is no different. It's interesting to wonder about what kind of false gods my unsaved family and neighbors worship. They may say they're agnostic (or atheists), but in reality, they're indeed worshipping something else. How tragic that they're missing out on a relationship with the One True God. :~)

July 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

right on, carol!

there is no such thing as an atheist..there is always someone or something on the throne!

thanks for this..i too thought this movie was utterly ridiculous..

Lisa

July 13, 2007 at 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,

You are one of the most intriguing writers I know. You make me think and you are not afraid to tackle those edge issues. Praise God.

I watched this movie with my unbelieving husband. We had a fantastic and interesting conversation at the conclusion. I am sure he thought I would freak out over this movie but it led us to talk about the real Jesus.

Thank you! Love you, Lynn

July 17, 2007 at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home