Internet Cafe

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Boxes, Boxes, Boxes

Today is move day! A year ago we bought a house that my husband has been re-modeling. What a journey that has been--I am so proud at his hard work and "handiness." We have been living in a sea of boxes for the past couple of weeks, and are so excited to finally get to enjoy the fruits of his labor!

As I spent time packing . . . and packing . . . and packing, I was reminded about how much "stuff" we have. I was also reminded how attached we can get to this stuff--how hard it is to let go of some of our accumulated possessions, even when we haven't used the stuff in years!

I think this is an aspect of our sin nature coming to light. Apart from Christ, we are so selfish. We seek to possess, unfortunately becoming defined by that "stuff."

I am reminded of the young man in the Bible seeking to follow Jesus. Jesus told him-"If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and some , follow me. (Matthew 19:21)" I don't think most of us are called to literally sell what we have and leave for overseas missions, but rather I think Jesus is indicating that we should be willing to if called. We should not be so attached to our "stuff" that we can not let it go. Our "stuff" should be seen as blessings used to serve and honor God. We are only stewards of what is His!


Sell your possessions and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where you treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Luke 12:33-34)

Are you treasuring the wrong things? It might be time to take inventory of those boxes, boxes, boxes.

Blessings!

In Him,

Kelly

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Kelly,

Lord, bless Kelly and her family as they begin a new journey in their new home.

In Jesus name, Amen

Thank you and happy moving day!

July 21, 2007 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Praying that God will bless your family, and your new home.

July 21, 2007 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I hope the move goes well and you enjoy your new place!!!( a Spacious Place, right?)

Great post!

Kim

July 21, 2007 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Amico Dio said...

Girlfriend... you are so speaking to me! I too am surrounded by boxes trying to determine what should stay and what should go.

Boy oh boy did I need this boost!
Thank you!

July 21, 2007 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Congratulations on your new house!

Thanks for this great lesson...

Lisa

July 21, 2007 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I moved into this house 6 years ago. A few weeks ago, I emptied the last of the boxes from that move. It felt like I'd been freed from some weird box captivity or something.

Loved this post!

July 23, 2007 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Awesome post Kelly!

July 26, 2007 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home