Internet Cafe

Monday, July 23, 2007

Baggage

I haul around a lot of baggage.

I tend to over pack for vacations. I have too much stuff in my purse. When I go play with a band somewhere, I usually bring more equipment than I really need, sometimes I even bring an extra guitar. It's a lot of stuff to haul around, and my shoulders are often sore because of it, but I never know what I might need.

And I don't go many places alone. I usually have someone with me or I meet them there. My kids, my husband, a friend, my band...someone. Because I like hanging out with those folks.

The thought of going somewhere alone, taking absolutely nothing with me doesn't really register. Even when I do run errands solo or keep an appointment by myself, I bring along my engorged purse and my trusty cell phone, perhaps even a book or magazine and something to drink.
Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"
He said to them, "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.' "But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.' Luke 13:23-25 (emphasis mine)
The door to heaven is narrow. Only one at a time can walk through. I won't be able to walk in with a group. I can't get in because I'm hanging out with Christians. Can't get in because my family is saved. Can't smuggle myself in with a crowd of saved folks. I have to walk through that narrow door all alone. Just me.

Empty-handed.

I won't be able to haul any baggage through with me. No fat purse, no American Tourister, no bass in a case, not even a magazine. I'll have to leave everything behind. As with the metal detectors and x-ray machines at the airports, anything I try to smuggle through will be detected.

What baggage will we be carrying when we show up at the door to heaven? Old grudges? Bad habits? Self-righteousness? Judgmental attitudes? Pride? Excuses? Unrepentant hearts?

That's a lot of baggage! Since we don't know at what moment we will find ourselves standing at the door knocking, now seems like a good time to rid ourselves of some junk.

The only thing we'll be able to carry in with us is our trust in Jesus. He has everything we really need. He's the only one we truly need.

"For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:30

I tend to haul around a lot of baggage. Do you?


Carol's blog can be found here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Great post, bless you.

July 23, 2007 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Oh wow...Luke just preached this a few weeks back....

Such great imagery...and I never get over how cool you are with your band and guitars and stuff. :))

Lisa

July 24, 2007 at 12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

July 28, 2007 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Carol.

Old grudges? Bad habits? Self-righteousness? Judgmental attitudes? Pride? Excuses? Unrepentant hearts?..... I want to rid myself of this baggage. Some of my family members are deeply mired in these. What freedom Jesus gives to us to unload this baggage.

Wonderul!

July 29, 2007 at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home