Internet Cafe

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mamma, I NEED My Pants!


The Cafe is thrilled to welcome Guest Barista, Theresa Horton Miller today!


It doesn’t matter how many times I offer my two-year-old daughter a solution, she has to try to figure it out all by her self before coming to the conclusion she needs help!

With a little patience on my part, it’s just a matter of time before she asks for the help I am so eager to give her. It’s that innate will to assert her independence. Fortunately, she will grow out of this stage as we all do…or do we?


Often, I see my own independent reflection in my two-year-old daughter, Alexa.


Alexa, at one point this morning, took off her pants because they "got sticky" and then remained in only a diaper, a shirt, and socks. When it was time to pick her older brother, Robby, up from school I told her we needed to put her pants back on.


She replied, "I don't need my pants." I proceeded to try and convince her.


"Let's put your pants on first, then we'll put your pretty shoes on." "Oh! My shoes!!" she replied enthusiastically as she darted up the stairs to retrieve her "pretty shoes.”


She bounced back down and proceeded to wiggle her little toes into the opening of her first shoe. I, once again, encouraged her to let me put her pants on first, then her shoes.


"I don't need my pants," she declared as she pressed her heal down into the shoe. She successfully weaseled both feet into her shoes. They were on the right feet and they matched her shirt beautifully, just no pants.



Now I'm a believer in natural consequences so, I decided this was not a battle I was going to pick.


"Okay, Alexa, let's put your coat on then."


"I don't need my pants or my coat."


"Okay, let's go." We proceeded out the door.


In a high-pitched shrill, Alexa cried, "It's windy."


"Do you need your pants?"


"I need my coat."


We put the coat on. "How about your pants?"


"I don't need my pants."


We proceeded outside again. She made it all the way to the car, stopped and cried in her high-pitched shrill, "It's windy!"


"Do you need your pants?"


"I need my hat."


I went and fetched her hat and put it on her. “How about your pants?"


"I don't need my pants."


She was happy.


Imagine my daughter in 26 degree weather (with the wind-chill) in a coat, hat, socks,
shoes, and a diaper.


Half-way down the road I hear from behind me, in that high-pitched, drama-girl, shrill…


"Maaaamaa...I need my pants!"


Oh, the lessons I learn from my two-year-old daughter! Like Alexa I, too, can be as stubborn with my Heavenly Father as to say, “No thanks, Lord, I have what I need.” I persist determined to try to figure it out all by myself.

Then when a circumstance overwhelms me I, too, cry out in a panic, “Looooord…I need you!” Or maybe just some pants…at any rate, I realize that what I need so desperately in a moments time is something that, just maybe, he’s been offering me all along. Oh, the love and patience of my Heavenly Father when I realize—my way has, once again, fallen short of my needs.

“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19 NIV

When was the last time you panicked due to trying to figure it out all by yourself?

At what point did you surrender to the solution God was offering?

Have you ever been disappointed by God’s provision in any given circumstance?

Will you trust Him today for the outcome of a circumstance you feel passionate about?

Prayer:
Father, we thank you for your provision for our lives. We pray for the woman reading this devotion, that she would release control to you in the given situation that has kept her determined to do things one way only. We pray that you would transform her heart so that the one and only way she relies on is your way. Amen.

In Him,

Theresa

Theresa can be found at her blogspot, heavenlyglimpses~

Theresa Horton Miller lives in Sheridan, Wyoming with her husband, Rob, and three children; Robby (5), Alexa (3) and Drew (10 mo.). She attends the Sheridan Classic MOPS Group and is in the process of starting up a local evening MOPS Group. Theresa has written articles for her local MOPS and church newsletters.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Davene said...

Theresa, thanks so much for sharing this story and helping us see the spiritual application to be gleaned from it. Besides making me smile, you also made me think. Thank you!!

August 19, 2009 at 12:42 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Awesome, bless you.

August 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute and inspirational Theresa. By the way it was really good to see you and those kiddos in July. Tell the family I said hello.
Rachelle

August 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Brook said...

What a great story and you are teaching her so well! Just an FYI: the devotional says she's two, but the write-up at the bottom says that Alexa is 3.

August 19, 2009 at 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Theresa said...

Thanks, Brook! I did not think about that. For clarification, Alexa just turned three last week and the story took place about six-months ago!!

August 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Great job Theresa! I love this!
Blessings,
Amy

August 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Jeannette said...

Theresa,
Your story of your daughter relating back to yourself and your relationship with God is very honest and inspiring. It's something I can relate to. Thank you for sharing your experience and your heart!
Jeannette

August 19, 2009 at 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theresa, I love this story!!! It inspires me, makes me want to be a better mom, and person with my God in complete contol. Love ya Sis, Sarah

August 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story! Oh the things that God teaches us through our kids!

August 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Alisa Hope Wagner said...

Great story. I loved the dialogue! My mind's eye had an image of your daughter in her jacket and hat and no pants. How cute! I wish I had your patience!

September 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home