Internet Cafe

Monday, August 17, 2009

Running in Place

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."-Psalm 46:10 (NIV)



The sabbatical was a much needed break and something I really needed.

For the longest time, I felt like I was going a mile a microsecond and there was no more fuel in the tank.

Every have that happen? You're driving and you know you should have fuel the vehicle, but instead, keep going, "One more mile, one more mile," only to find yourself, near empty and barely coasting into the nearest fuel station?

That was how I felt.

I was running empty on ideas, in need of inspiration and felt short of nourishment but instead of stopping and taking a short break and recharge, I kept going and going.

How often do our souls sometimes feel like that?

We are running on empty, there are those moments of drought and no nourishment seems to be coming in and we just want or need that quick refuel to keep us going so we really, just don't have time to stop.

Be still. Wait. Turn it over to Him and stop trying to do it ourselves.

That's easier said then done.

Even on sabbatical, rather than taking a step back and resting; I found myself going a mile a second, brain just busy and getting involved with projects, everything but....oooooo..."be still".


This command — “be still” — forces us to think on two things: that we are finite, and that God is infinite. That being the case, we need to drop our hands, go limp, relax, and “chill out.”~"Be Still and Know that I am God by Jason Jackson"

Moms, how many of you actually "relax"? I mean...don't really do anything, just took the time off and really just be still?



So I sit here, staring at the computer screen and I realized. The hardest part about stopping, is actually having to face whatever it is our Father wants to tell us. That uncertainty, we may not want to hear what He has to say, though we know we need to.

So long as we keep busy, we keep distracted and we didn't have to stop....or think.

Stay strong
You are not lost
Come on and fix your eyes ahead
There's a new dawn to light our day, our day
You've gotta stay strong
You and I run
For the prize that lies ahead
We've come too far to lose our way, our way
~Stay Strong by Newsboys


We need to stop the tug of war with Him and go, "Okay I'll let You take care of this after I do this and this and this and....."

Stop.

Just stop.

And breathe.

Be still and breathe, it's okay...really, it's okay.


Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins"~ James 4:13-17 (NIV)

After running around in circles, it's easy to stop and find out that nothing was really accomplished. We are like hamsters running forever in a wheel that goes nowhere and what we thought we had build up, was really....nothing.


The notebook wasn't filled, because instead of making time to just reflect, I was too busy thinking. Instead of reading the books I wanted to read, I was too busy looking at more books I would like to read. Instead of making time to spend with Him, I kept saying , "tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....."

And maybe tomorrow doesn't come or it just starts back all over again, the same way it started up yesterday, but with no real changes today.

Be still.

Stop running in place and if you have to drop what you are doing, drop it, unless they are the dishes, then that's a hard one to explain to hubby, why you need new dishes. Or maybe not.

There comes times like this, we need to just turn off the computers (okay, easier said then done for many), turn off the cellphone and today, right now, do that something different and more than anything, go to our Father and be still and just listen to Him.


The real prize, the real goal, the real point of life is that our Father has already overcome everything and HE is there and HE is strong and He IS and WILL see us through so we should just stop for that second, minute, hour.

Right now, as we speak, ask yourself.

What are ways that you can just make that break in routine and really spend that time just really listening to what our Father has to say to you and for you?

If you are feeling that rut in your life, like you are running on empty and just need to make it to the fuel station, what are ways to just make it a high priority in your life and get that recharging you are desperately needing??

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4 (NIV)

Heavenly Father,We lift Your name up in praise for You are King of kings and no matter where we are, You are always and will always be there. You leave no place untouched with Your presence and Your light. Lord, help see us through the droughts and the storms and those moments when we seem to be stuck in a never ending wheel of routine and help keep us reminded that no matter what, YOU, are Lord and through You and in You,we do have that promise of encouragement and endurance,but rather than lift our heads down, remind us to lift our heads up and lift Your name, for You reign higher than all of us and all that ails us.

Thank You Father, for being what we are not, so YOU and only You, will be what sees us through, no matter what faces us.

Gentle Readers, it's good to be back with you and prayers and hope that you are blessed and encouraged, today, tomorrow and forever, in and through our Heavenly Father.




Thrilled to be back from taking a break, you can visit Twinkle Mom at her blog, Sunflower Faith, where she isn't chasing dogs, birds or laundry.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger you gotta wonder said...

So true, and just the reminder I needed.

August 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM  
Anonymous tracie @ {tsj} photography said...

oh how i love this! something i am absolutely working on and this is a great reminder to tuck away in my bag of inspiration. thank you!!

August 17, 2009 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Lynda Schultz said...

Thanks for this. I can identify, and I am going to pass it on to a friend who needs to hear the message.

August 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautifully shared. It is often so hard to "be still" and yet, if I did it more often, then perhaps I would not feel so empty so often.

Thank you for the beautiful prayer.

Gaylene

August 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Laurel@From My Heart to Yours said...

YES! This is what I'm doing right now! I posted about it here: http://laurelsheart.wordpress.com:80/2009/08/14/the-heart-of-my-family/

It is so important to just REST IN HIM. Put our EXPECTATIONS in HIM.

Bless you,
Laurel

August 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I'm not feeling spiritually strong lately, I feel as if I'm running but I'm still in the same place. There is a lot going on-we're moving 5 sons to a new state, schools starting, and we haven't got in the house yet, our house has to sell, too--soo many things. However, when I focus on my Father, stop the worry from creeping like a vine into my mind, then I trust and I rest. It's a continual battle, though, like the ivy in my garden. It keeps weaving it's way back, but I keep it at bay. I need more consistency in my peace, though. Thanks for sharing, for reminding, for encouraging!

August 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home