Internet Cafe

Friday, July 10, 2009

The Secret To Happiness: A Worksheet

"There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do."

- Freya Stark


I wanted to do this devotional a little differently. It may be because I'm a teacher, or maybe because I believe in the power of the written word, but I love the act of physically writing down my thoughts and response to questions. Therefore, in relation to the above quote, I wanted to make this an interactive process. First, I'd like for you to respond to the following questions:


Name (at least) 3 things that you believe to be true about Jesus Christ's requirements on those who come to believe in Him:


1.


2.


3.


Now, I want you to research 3 scriptures to support those requirements put on us by Christ.


1.


2.


3.


Here is what I came up with.

First, Christ expects us to believe in Him to receive eternal life. John 3:16 tells us that! ("For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.")

Secondly, He expects us to tell others about Him and His truth; "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded of you." - Matthew 28:19-20.

Third, He expects us to love one another; "A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all know that you are my disciples, if you show that you love one another." - John 13:34-35.

Then for good measure, let me also note that we are to serve one another in that love; "If then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; you also ought to wash one anothers' feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, the servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If you know these things, happy are you if you do them." - John 13:14-17.


So let's recap: Christ expects us to: (and these are just a *few* examples)



  • Believe in Him


  • Tell others about Him


  • Love others as He loved us


  • Serve each other as He was a servant to and for us

What are some ways that you are living out these beliefs?



Think back on times when you were living out (or maybe you are now!) these beliefs. How did it make you feel?

I know when I am living out these expectations set forth by our Lord and Saviour, that I feel great! Not in a prideful, accomplished kind of way, but in a way that makes me feel close to God, because I am being obedient to the Lord. The Word through and through teach us that we are happiest in our spirits when we are obeying the Lord and walking with Him in a real, personal and "hands on" kind of way. In fact, hell is often described as being apart from the Lord when we aren't obeying His expectations and will for our lives.


It is my prayer that each of you will seek out truths about what He has designed to make us happy, and then "do" those truths. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, reach out to the hurting, love the unloveables. Those moments when you are really connecting with those around you as He connected with those around Him, are the times when you will feel the most at peace within yourself, and with Him. True happiness comes from living our beliefs - what do you believe in?



Let's pray:


Lord Jesus, thank You for providing a way for us to be truly happy. Thank You for providing us with access to Your Word so that we can learn about what pleases You, so that we can walk in a real and personal way with You, bringing peace and joy into our lives on a real and tangible level. Thank You Lord for being accessible to us, by showing us how to live a peaceful, productive and service-driven life. May we always seek Your will for our lives, so that You can show us true happiness. It is in Your name that we pray, Amen.




Allison is the owner of Simple Christian Living. Feel free to visit her blog also and leave a comment to encourage and support her!








Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home