Internet Cafe

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Will Not Be Moved




After many years of dealing with the aches and pains associated with back problems, I finally decided it was time do something about my many limitations. It seemed like whenever I would attempt to start exercising to strengthen my back, it always resulted in a set back where I was in more pain.

The feeling of frustration quickly lead to defeat, and then this brutal cycle would start over. I wondered how could I ever get back in shape if I couldn't’t even do some basic exercises? I wanted more then anything to be able to enjoy all the things I used to do before I injured those lower discs. I was determined to find a solution.

Then a few weeks ago I made the decision to try once again. Only this time, I would have to make some very bold moves behind my declaration.

I joined the local YMCA.

Now, this may not sound too difficult of a decision for those of you reading my story right now, but what I was about to embark on represented a major step forward against years of being pushed back.

I joined a swim class.

Not having stepped in a bathing suit for many years and going to the department store to purchase one was a cause for panic.

While trying them on, well, let's just say I was unpleasantly surprised by what the mirror revealed. We won't go there... However, it just was more motivation for even a greater determination to win this battle!

In the 15th chapter of Corinthians, verse 58 Paul also made a bold statement:

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
Each day as I prepared to leave for my class I thought about this powerful exhortation, and to think Paul was a man who endured more pain and suffering for the cause of Christ then any of us could ever imagine.

Then it became clear to me that the decision I made to get back in shape physically, was not unlike my walk with Jesus.

If I was going to succeed in my bold declaration to get my physically strength back, I knew I had to be steadfast.

That would mean no turning back, no making excuses, no quitting the race. I would have to remain committed and confident that no matter how difficult the task would be, I would be unmoved and unshaken.

It seems like we are faced with this decision daily as we walk with the Lord. It’s so easy to let the events of our lives and the cares of this world dictate our direction. However, Paul didn’t believe that was true. He encouraged us to remember that no matter how tough things may get, our decision to be unmovable would not be in vain.

Joining the YMCA was only the beginning.

Keeping to the commitment would ultimately determine the outcome I desperately desired. So day after day I go. Has it been hard? You bet! Have I complained? You bet!

But just like the Kingdom work God has called us to do, we must stand firm with our eyes focused on the prize, and never getting off the task He has put before us.

I don't know about you, but I not only want to remain steady in my faith, yes even more, I want it to abound. I want to live a life that brings glory and honor to God.

Ask God to show you what areas in your life He is challenging you to step out in. Be faithful, face the giant, and do whatever is necessary to reach that goal.

It may often mean that you will have to launch out of your comfort zone, and press on to win that personal race. Never forget that it will not be vain. Taking care of our physical bodies is only illustration of the much higher calling we have to take care of the things of Christ.

Oh, by the way, since I’ve joined I’m already feeling a lot stronger. I’ve also had the bonus of meeting some wonderful ladies in my class!

Some things to ponder:
  • When is the last time you launched out into the deep and did something that was difficult for you?
  • Is it your desire to abound in the work of the Lord?


Lord I know pray for each lady that is reading this post. Give them the desire to press into the call of God in their lives daily. I pray that they would remain steadfast and unmovable in face of all the many difficulties they encounter in their walk with you. May they receive the victor's crown one day as they stand before you. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Good for you sweetie, praying for you.

June 18, 2009 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Hooray for you!!! and your posting is on point, there are many things we need to do that seem hard but we must be steadfast and have the no quitting no excuses attitude!!!

June 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger LauraLee Shaw said...

SUCH a great post, sister. Like you, I had one of those moments that told me it was time to get back in shape. And guess what? I joined my local Y as well! I enjoy the fitness yoga & the core training classes, but I would love to swim too. Keep goin' girl. I'm so glad you shared this, hoping it will give many the determination to draw upon the Lord's gumption for whatever "thing" they are facing as well. It certainly gave me a boost. Much love!

June 18, 2009 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Discovery School at First Baptist Heath said...

I have been there, and so struggle daily! I hurt my back a year and a half ago! Nothing seemed to help! Some days were hard to get moving, and my leg would not work. Then I felt a strong urge to lead our vacation bible school. When I see lead, I mean the daily opening and closing with songs, skits, bible verses, etc. I have not stood on a stage in 20 years. PRaise Jesus, my back is improving and I know that God has a plan for me being in front of people. I pu my trust in him! I guess you couldc all it Christian aerobics! THose VBS songs have given me my life back!

June 19, 2009 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hey Mom,

I'm so sorry to read about your struggles. I can truly identify.

I'm so blessed to read God is using those songs to give your life back!

Thanks for stopping by!

June 19, 2009 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger LisaShaw said...

Boy this is timely and uplifting! Keep going dear sister with God on your side you'll be fine. I'm glad you are feeling stronger also. Working out is a wonderful thing. I've been doing it for over 2 yrs and I don't even know what in the world kept me from it before. Well yes I do but that's another story. Love and prayers.

June 19, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home