Internet Cafe

Friday, May 8, 2009

The Nag

I’m a bath-taker.

I find it completely relaxing and therapeutic after a long day of being THAT mom to soak in my tub. I have a little ritual. I fill the tub completely full of hot water. I microwave-pop my low fat unbuttered popcorn and add a hint of garlic pepper powder to it and put it in my floating bowl. I usually grab something I’m reading and sit there until I’m wrinkly or the water is tepid. Then I reheat. I do this every night.

I don’t actually own a bowl marketed as a ‘floating bowl,’ I discovered this by default. But it really comes in handy.The other night as I relaxed, I had a thought.

“Honey?,” I called.

“Did you remember to c
all that man about that thing?” I yelled into the next room.

He appeared at the door. “No. I forgot.”

“What???? You said you would-- . . .”

I will spare you the intricate details of how I LAMBLASTED my husband, while in the tub,He walked away irritated. And I was mad. I couldn’t believe he forgot and then I went thru the ‘nevers’ (he never remembers) and then I made it to the ‘always’ (I always remember). I have a gift for remembering. I like to share the gift and teach others.

I’m really generous that way.

And that’s when I felt it.

Conviction.

I hate that feeling.Catching a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror, one word popped into my mind.

“Nag.”

I dismissed it immediately. I mean, how rude . . . of me. I reheated my water and flipped thru my magazine and tried to get back in the I-LOVE-TO-TAKE-A-BATH-ZONE.

I’m not that bad, I told myself. He just needs my help remembering and following through. I’m his helper. It’s my job.But there it was again. “Nag.”That is an ugly word. I closed my eyes and pictured an old horse.

Sway back.

Ugly.

Old.

A nag.

Maybe God wanted me to intercede for all the nags in the world. I know plenty. You probably do too. You know those women who do---what I just did. And then I sat there for a long time. You know what I heard?

Drip.


Drip.


Drip.


Drip.


Drip.






It reminded me of this:

“A nagging wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day,” (Prov. 27:15)


Funny I should remember it . And yet there it was, pointing it’s dripping wet finger right at me. I dried off and crawled into my pajamas. I looked up nagging in my Bible and ran across this lovely thought,

“with such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was tired to death,” Judges 16:16


Okay. I get it. I hear You, okay? I found my hubby and wrapped my arms around his neck. “Call him whenever you’re ready. I won’t say anything else.” I could feel the tension melt away.

Know what I did next? I ran some more bath water and this time, I tackled it right. I’m very thankful God showed me the nag, living within. Do you fall into this ugly habit too with your husband or children?

Pray this with me:

"Father, thank you for my spouse. Thank you for my children. They are a gift in my life. Please help me not to nag and berate them with my words. Help me to use my words as an encouragement, rather than a weapon. Quicken my spirit when I cast words that are displeasing to you. Amen."


Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Amen, amen.

May 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Unfortunately that is me more often than I care to admit. Thank you for the reminder!!!

May 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger aka Brooke said...

Thank you for this! I grew up listening to my mom berate my dad on a daily basis and *cringe* to hear myself sounding just like her. I always felt bad for my dad and here I do it to my own husband! I prayed the prayer you wrote and then some!

May 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger BizzieLizzie said...

Oh, WOW - LOVE it when I'm convicted in an awesome, humbling way! Yep, I can see me doing the same exact thing - You are so right my husband and Lizzie are super precious to me - I'm gonna try and bite my tongue the next time! Thanks for the gentle reminder!!

May 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Christin said...

Oh honey, I can relate, too. Good for you for heeding the voice of the Holy Spirit. God knows it's not always easy to come face to face with ourselves!

This is something that is a constant work in progress for me. I guess it would be for all of us, huh?

May 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Starr LaPradd said...

Thanks. I really needed that today.

May 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM  
Anonymous Shauna said...

So many people dwell on the "Her children rise up and call her blessed" passage for Mother's Day, when deep down there may be just a tiny bit of the "buts"--"but she's cranky sometimes" "But I really wish she..."(you can fill in the rest). Thank you for helping me realize I'm not the only mom who needs a gentle reminder from the Holy Spirit--and that it sometimes comes while I'm soaking in a nice warm bathtub, too!

May 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger beckyquilts said...

This is something I have been convicted of myself and find that it is hard to get rid of! Only through God can we change these hurtful habits. Thanks for the reminder.

May 11, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home