Internet Cafe

Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Mouse that would not be Ignored

Mice.

What happened was that, about one year ago to be exact, I realized that we often don't have to look to far to hear from Him; It's just a matter of paying attention.

Sometimes we tend to be all too human and forget to really listen except with half an ear, our minds elsewhere or maybe...we just don't want to listen and go on the defensive even with God.

The following story is of what happens when we choose not to listen.

My child was helping me move some of our dogs' items out of the way so I could both clear the way of any temptation for a mouse that was in the house and to make it easier to catch it...

Trouble was that I was so caught up "in the moment" I didn't notice we were walking straight into where the mouse really was....My children did and as much as they could to get my attention, but I didn't listen.I thought that my child was talking about a chew mouse that my dog had. I brushed off his excited exclamation of, "See see mouse is running!" Rather than really listening to him, I told him..."Honey that is just a fake mouse."

Our dog proved me wrong.

Dealing with the mouse, was just His way of gently nudging me and gently saying, "See see....listen to what I'm trying to tell you."

There are times that we seem to make the mistake of not only doing that to people who do have our best interest at heart. Sometimes we accidentally or intentionally, do the same with our Heavenly Father and rather than listen, like we should, we just brush off what He is trying to tell us only to have to learn the hard way, or in my case, a squeaky way.

It's so easy to get so caught up with everything that is wrong. Maybe we just put on blinders, thinking we can put off today, what we will never want to face ever, or that we make mistakes ourselves without knowing, meanwhile our Heavenly Father is right there,in front of us, jumping up and down with flares, but rather than see Him, we keep on going, lost in our world, shutting out everyone, including Him.

I remember being SO focused on getting that mouse, that I didn't realize he (or she) was right there.

The kids were trying to tell me, but rather than be humble and think,"Hey they see something I don't," I brushed them off, mentally became defensive and rather than really listen to what they had to say, I just focused on what my own thoughts were and what I THOUGHT was right in front of me.

How many times have we often done that?

We do it with others around us, who meant well and weren't trying to point out faults or hurt us or thought we were wrong, but just wanted to let us know something that we couldn't see for ourselves? How many times have we done that to our Heavenly Father and quickly just crossed our arms and closed our eyes?It's in recognizing that maybe it's really Him, working through others, that we come to acknowledge that perhaps there may be something that we can't see but He can and He is using someone else to try and get to us since we're not listening to Him directly?

I learned a valuable lesson that day and not just how high pitch I can scream.

Or how high and fast I can jump.

I learned that a small mouse can move very fast. I learned that dachshunds run very fast for having short legs, and most importantly, I learned that there are times when it doesn't paid to be stubborn or quick to react and it helps to just step back and really just listen.

Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." (Ps 25:5)


Just like I needed to listen a little closer to what my kids had to say instead of quickly replying, the same is true with our Heavenly Father. Before quickly reacting to what He has to say, it pays to just take a step back and listen.

When our Heavenly Father speaks to us, He isn't out to just "put us in our place" or "show us up," but He is able to see things better than we can and want to point us to a better direction. He uses many ways to try and get our attention and it may be in ways familiar to us, or like that day, in an unfamiliar method of just plain squeaky and furry and fast.

We can learn to take a step back and listen to Him and allow Him to tell us what we need to hear, but we can also choose not to listen, only to find ourselves, standing on a couch, screaming, before reality hits and we have to realize..."Wait, we're the only adult in the house," before finally coming to our senses, getting off the couch and listening to what God wants us to do.

Humility is a hard thing to learn, but it takes us farther then when we think we're in the right and know everything.

Hmmm...did I just see an apple fall to the ground somewhere? Oh wait..that's cheese...oh no.

Heavenly Father, I ask that You keep teaching me humility and that I am no greater than the smallest field mouse. Teach me to listen to my children and show them the respect that You ask for us, your children, to show to you. Lord, teach me patience, teach me courage, but again, teach me humility and that pride gets us no where.

When I read the words and called to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said,

Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Help me truly remember that I must be like that and experience that faith as a children and have that belief as a child and not just proclaim it.

What are some ways you can take the time to listen, really listen. Maybe He has words of comfort He wants to share or maybe He wants to let you know there is a mouse right by your foot?

Think of scripture that can help you learn patience and how to seek out our Heavenly Father and what promises He holds for all of us.

While we are on listening....if you hear a "squeak" "squeak", last I checked...mice can't climb couches...at least,not when people are on it, jumping.......


Sigh...and to think I told the kids to never jump on couches.



When Twinkle Mom isn't jumping on couches out of fear of ferocious, furry mice, you can find her blogging at her site,Sunflower Faith, where she writes about daily life, reflections on her walk with our Heavenly Father and the occasional escapades of brave dachshunds who love digging up plants.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Nice post.

May 3, 2009 at 1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home