Internet Cafe

Friday, February 15, 2008

A Universal Language


A couple of weekends ago as I journeyed out with my family for some food and fun I made a startling discovery. There is a universal language, one that crosses all boundaries known to man to make a statement.

The first evidence of this came as I waited in a long line at my post office to mail some packages. There were screaming children (thankfully mine were waiting in the car with Ryan), frustrated employees, a problem with a computer, quite a few grumpy people.

A lady that was in line ahead of me struggled to understand what was being said by the employees as they would call out "anybody here for a pick-up?", or "anybody here for a passport?" She obviously spoke another language and kept turning to others to see if somehow they could communicate with her.

Usually when she turned around others would look at her with blank stares and you could see the confusion in her eyes as she struggled to understand. Then I finally noticed it: a pick-up slip. The lady had been waiting all this time when she could have picked up her package more than 10 minutes earlier. So, I tapped her shoulder and pointed to the line where the last man was waiting to get his package. She just looked at me confused and I knew she was unaware of what I was saying so I touched her ticket and smiled then pointed to the line again. I knew that she understood because she smiled back and walked off to get in the other line.

When the man took her ticket and walked to the back to retrieve it, she turned to smile at me. I understood. She said, "Thank you".

The greatest of these was when her package arrived and she saw who it was from. She lit up and a smile was evident from ear to ear. She said, "I am so happy to have this package!" though all she really did was smile.

So I began to test this. I smiled at my hubby and the kids when I got back to the car. They smiled back. It was as if we were saying "I missed you! I'm glad that we are together again!" Then I smiled at people as we walked in the parking lot. They smiled back. It was as if we were saying, "Hi!" Some smiled so grandly it was as if they were saying, "Hi and have a great day!"
This was amazing to me. I tend to mind my own business when out in public. Not out of rudeness but out of busyness. This taught me a major lesson. I can change the course of someone's day by communicating with them... through a smile.

Have you smiled at someone today?

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Matthew 25:40



I'd love for you to visit me at my personal blog: In Pursuit of Proverbs 31

In Pursuit of Proverbs 31

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger As We Sail... said...

This reminds me of the old Canadian boy scout "Smile" song that I used to sing in Campfire Girls when I was little - in the 60's.
http://www.djmorton.demon.co.uk/scouting/songs/smile.htm

February 14, 2008 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

I need to do that a lot more! Even when I don't really feel like it. It is almost impossible to be in a cranky mood after you smile a few times... even if it's forced! :-)

February 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Smiles are wonderful, keep passing them around.

February 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the one thing I hate about always being hurried - we don't take time to smile or to notice smiles. It really does change most situations when someone slows down and just throws a little smile at you! I know that sweet lady is glad for yours!
Darnelle

February 14, 2008 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

You can't see me, but I'm smiling at you right now. :))))))

Loved this, Amy!

Lisa

February 15, 2008 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 15, 2008 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Simple, but profound reminder:)

February 15, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger windycindy said...

Isn't it amazing what simple gestures can do?! Especially, kind ones! Thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

February 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

Such an easy thing to do, but such a hard thing to remember and actually do!

February 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Christie@tisbutaseason said...

;-) Smiling now!

Thanks for a great post!

Still smiling ;-)

February 15, 2008 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger lori said...

SMILING with you!!!!
I hope you can see it...

YES, we need sooooo much more of it in the world...
so let there be smiles on earth and let it begin with ME!

hugs to you!!
lori

February 16, 2008 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger Laura Paxton said...

I used to do this with my customers when I worked for that super-large store seemingly detested by all, and shopped in by many. It was amazing...just being kind, smiling, and asking about their day seemed to brighten up the most grumpy of my customers.

February 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Christi S said...

I have found this same thing....that sometimes, people will open up and really NEED to have someone smile at them. Thanks for sharing today!

February 16, 2008 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Praise and Coffee said...

I love it Amy! Awesome reminder about something so practical- and inexpensive that we can give all day long!

:)
Sue

February 19, 2008 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home