Internet Cafe

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

When a Blog Comes Together...

When I got to my parents place, it was a nice feeling to see that they both had my blog up on their computer screens.

It's odd at times to see two seniors--who avoided 'new fangled' banks cards until recently--sitting in front of a PC. Make that 'each their own PC'! When did they master the calculator and move on to a PC? They're growing up too fast, before I know it, they'll be moving out in search of a care home. Seems like just yesterday they were changing my diapers...

I wanted a pie. It's been too long since I had a coconut cream pie. This reality was triggered by a question that my children asked me on Friday morning. "Mom, what's your favorite pie?" Maddy asked.

"Is it berry pie?" Nathaniel wanted to know. "Do you like raisen pie?"

"No, I don't like raisen pie," I shivered thinking about the abundance of sugar that oozed from that pie. I was just about to answer 'blueberry pie', but then I remembered my ultimate favorites, which are Lemon Merangue and Coconut Cream. "I love coconut cream," I answered, as a plan started unfolding in my head.

So there I was, standing in my parents livingroom still trying to figure out how this plan to get a pie was going to unfold. I decided to start with mom, but after she explained to me that Dad is the one who makes all the pies, I took it up with him. "Dad, you haven't made pies for a long time, and I'm dying for a coconut cream pie."

"That's right it's been a while," he said, trying to figure out why my sidebar wasn't showing up on his computer screen.

He was close, but not committed, so I figured it was time to pull out the sympathy card, "I bet Bonnie would love a pie," I said. Lucky for me, Bonnie's back was so bad she couldn't even get out of bed--it wasn't so lucky for her--unless she had a hankerin' for pie too--then it was lucky for both of us.

After Dad got Blogger to load my page, we went back into the livingroom to sit with Mom where they argued about whether real whipped cream or artificial whipped cream would be best for the pies. I sat around adding in my two cents, sipping a diet Coke, and rubbing the belly of a pup whose leg shook in the air.

"The sooner you leave, the sooner you'll get your pie," Dad said.

I left.

At 6pm, the doorbell rang, and Dad was standing outside with a fresh coconut cream pie topped with real whipped cream. He didn't have time to stay because he had another pie waiting in the drivers seat to be delivered to Bonnie's kitchen.

When I sit down to write, I usually start with a single thought, and sometime the tapping of my fingers on the keys make a story come to life, while other times they don't. I'm never quite sure what that story will be.

This week I discovered that my thoughts were on grace. After writing this story about coconut cream pie, the first verse that came to mind was "by love serve one another." I had no idea what context that verse was in, but after reading the context of the verse, I have no doubt that it was placed in my heart for a reason, and that reason is to sum up grace.

"It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don't use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom." Galatians 5:13-14

I love it when a blog comes together. Thanks for the pie Dad, and thanks for your service of love!

In Him... Darlene

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

I enjoyed this sweetie.

October 24, 2007 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger Amico Dio said...

Now I want pie, lemon meringue pie.

October 25, 2007 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I don't know why exactly but I had tears in my eyes from reading this. It was just so sweet! And I was thinking about our Heavenly Father and I know he would gladly make us a pie or cookies or whatever we want. When we ask, He gives. What a wonderful Father you have and what a wonderful Heavenly Father we both have. God is good and I am sure the pie was wonderful!

October 25, 2007 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like chocolate cream pie:-) Darlene, you always serve with a heart of love and that, to me, is SWEET.

Blessings,
Vicki

October 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darlene,

I adore your Dad. I enjoy reading every word you write about him.

I delight in going with you to pick up your kids from school and take them to lunch at McDonalds.

Thank you for sharing your heart with me and for this wonderful story about Grace.

I love it how indeed, a blog comes together. Amazing.

Thank you

October 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

You know - it is so true - sometimes I have no clue that a blog is going to be until I sit down in front of the keyboard. I have a Scripture passage in mind, but the outcome is sometimes surprising to me too :)

I am sure your Dad made the best coconut cream pie you had for a while :). I am wondering if Bonnie was really surprised when you Dad showed up with the pie *grin*.

October 25, 2007 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger lori said...

Darlene...
one of my alltime favorite verses!
Galatians 5:13 - 14..."use your freedom to serve one another in love..." hospitality...

Your post made me smile, it's comforting to know that YOU even arrive at the screen blank...I can't imagine that!:)
I loved the peek into the house with your parents, sounds too familiar!
I would have been thrilled with coconut cream pie with REAL whipped cream!!
oh...I hope it was delicious!!
makes me crave one! I don't suppose your dad delivers to Georgia?:)
thanks for the blessing!
lori

October 25, 2007 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

SWEET Post (in more ways than one)!!!!

October 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home