Internet Cafe

Wednesday, October 10, 2007


A fragrance pleasing to whom??

I think I may be an aroma-holic....
I love certain smells...cut grass, lavender, rosemary, basil, bread baking, Christmas trees, baby powder, coffee brewing...I just love smells!!

As God often does, He gets my attention in the details...This past week there was a 'strange' smell in the closet downstairs in the room where we have school...a smell that was NOT pleasing...It got my attention!! YUCK..that smell...

It was placed on my heart the idea of fragrance....and what do I smell like to HIM??

A few years ago at our Home school Co-Op I did a Bible Study with a wonderful group of girls. One week we discussed something that I had read on fragrance and what fragrances would please God. Some smells are irresistible, like those chocolate chip cookies baking...and perhaps God feels the same, of course it's not the smell of cookies baking, wafting heavenward, but in other fragrances....the smell of "ME."

He delights in the fragrance of :

Prayer: Psalms 141:2 ~ "Accept my Prayer as incense offered to you, and my upraised hands as an evening offering."

Praise: Malachi 1:11 ~ "But my name is honored by people of other nations from morning till night. All around the world they offer sweet incense and pure offerings in honor of my name. For MY name is great among the nations," says the Lord of Heaven's Armies.

Obedience: John 14:24 ~ "Anyone who doesn't love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me."

Service: 2 Chronicles 29:11 ~ "My sons, do not neglect your duties any longer! The Lord has chosen you to stand in his presence, to minister to him and to lead the place in worship and present offerings to him."

Sacrifice: Philippians 4:18 ~ "At the moment I have all I need ~and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are sweet smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God.

I thought as I sat there about how I want my 'fragrance' to be pleasing to God.

2 Corinthians 2:15 sums it up so beautifully:

"Our lives are a Christ ~like fragrance rising up to God. "

I want to be a modern Proverbs 31 Woman, as I try daily to live that, I need to focus on those fragrances that waft upwards to heaven, from me...

I WANT TO SMELL GOOD and PLEASING to God....

So as I sit and bask in the smell of this wonderful autumn candle scent that fills the room, I am reminded in the details once again...and I inhale, enjoying the fragrance....and reminding myself to think about the fragrance that lingers on from me....

peace,

..."It is a sweet aroma, an offering...to the Lord." Exodus 29:18

I'd love for you to visit me over here:

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

This is such a precious post, bless you.

October 10, 2007 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Just read your comment about my "Out of the Valleys", and came over to visit your blog. How wonderful, that our love of the Lord draws us to know each other.
I will be back.

October 10, 2007 at 2:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Lovely Lori! Seriously, though, you and I must kindred spirits because I wrote an article amost exactly like this a year ago!

October 10, 2007 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Nunnie's Attic said...

Again, Lori - a beautiful post! I never thought of it in that light. I remember a story of a little girl who while at her brother's baseball game said to her mother: Do you smell that? It smells like Him. Her mother thought it smelled in impending rain. But as you read the story you find that she was very sick as a baby and was never expected to live. But she did live and she did thrive. And she explained to her mother that the smell in the air is just like the smell she remembered when sitting in His arms.

Thanks again for such a beautiful post.

Love,
Julie

October 10, 2007 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

I am addicted to good smelling things too--especially candles.
It is so true, God loves us smelling good and being His sweet fragrance here on earth.
Thank you for sharing these sweet smelling thoughts with us this morning.

October 10, 2007 at 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Our lives are a Christ ~like fragrance rising up to God. "
What an great analogy!!! I was strugglig over what devotion to do with my little ladies today. This is it!!! Thank you.

October 10, 2007 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Amico Dio said...

I love smells! In fact, I think I have rubbed off on my youngest son because he always runs out of the bathroom and puts his soaking wet head of hair up my nose and says with delight, "Smell me!" (he just loves the variety of scents shampoos have to offer!)

I love their smell when they are fresh out of the tub, the smell of cleanliness. We can then hug and cuddle because they don't smell like the backyard anymore.

...yeah, I can see why fragrance is so important to God.

Great post Lori!

October 10, 2007 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Lori---I LOVE all those smells you describe... :)
Reading this made me begin to wonder how "I" smelled to God. How do my prayers smell? My praise? My worship? Very powerful message sweet friend and thought provoking...this is one I will be thinking on ALL DAY!!!

October 10, 2007 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I enjoyed the list. It reminds me of the things I can do for Him.

October 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I smiled when I read this. My Faith loves sweet smells. I bought her lavender to put in the garden last summer and every day she would go out and lay on her stomach and just inhale its scent. You've brought back memories as well as made a point.

It's so good to see you here on this blog. You are such an encourager.

Kate

October 10, 2007 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Great reminder! Boy, do I want to be a sweet smelling aroma to my King! He is certainly worthy!

October 14, 2007 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Dear Lori,

Just sitting here reading through the Cafe and your article caught my attention, BIG TIME.

I'm really into fragrances, all kinds of smells, everywhere!

Yes, more then ever I disire to that sweet aroma, and my life an offering to the Lord!

I just smelled HIM through the gracious words you wrote here.

Blessings to you,

Susan

October 21, 2007 at 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home