Internet Cafe

Friday, March 23, 2007

Nothing on the Agenda but Spending Time with Our Father

As soon as Spring flirts with us each year, kids fall for her charms and begin wearing flip-flops and shorts to school. Even if chilly mornings make goose bumps pop up on tender, winter skin, it’s spring--and you’ve gotta dress like it’s spring!

Apparently, my eighth-grader, Kristin, has been the only girl in her entire school, school district, or in Indiana who has still been wearing (you won’t believe this) jeans to school. This “fact” was exacerbated by the “fact” that she could no longer fit into anything that was discarded all over her bed, floor, dressers, closet, or ceiling fan.

It’s true that middle schoolers, like toddlers, can grow a lot in one year, so we went shopping for a few items. We looked for styles we could both approve of, but the plethora of microscopic, miniscule, dinky, veritably undetectable wee shorts and skirts was not acceptable to either of us. But that’s a whole ‘nother post!

Nevertheless, we made a couple of purchases. Kristin was excited about her new clothes. In fact, she expressed appreciation several times. All in all, the excursion was turning out to be a great mom/daughter bonding time.

But then something drained Kristin’s spirit and zapped her stamina in a matter of minutes: I began looking at a few things for myself.

Her countenance dropped. Her knees buckled. Her eyes actually got bloodshot. She dragged her feet and leaned on clothes racks for support. She wasn’t complaining, rude or misbehaving; she had simply gotten what she came for, and suddenly, the party was over.

Later at home, we were laughing about her descent into listlessness when she remarked that what she did is similar to the way we relate to God sometimes. That is, when we need or want something, we ask, and a lot of times we get what we want. Sadly, as soon as we feel relief from worry, or the storm has passed, or the wish has been granted, we grow tired of praying. We’re not unappreciative or rude to God; we probably even say “thank you,” just as Kristin did. However, we just don’t sense the same urgency or even remember to talk to him like we did when we were holding out our hands.

Galatians 3:25-27 reminds us: “By faith in Christ you are in direct relationship with God. Your baptism in Christ was not just washing you up for a fresh start. It also involved dressing you in an adult faith wardrobe—Christ's life, the fulfillment of God's original promise.” [The Message]

I am reminded that I’m in a relationship with God, my Father, who is interested in who I am on the inside. I love him, and I want to make sure that I participate in our relationship every day in ways that don’t involve asking for something. Whether in earthly relationships or in the one with our Father, there is joy in just spending time with someone we love.

Today, may we dress ourselves in an “adult faith wardrobe,” giving thanks to our Provider but also seeking Father/Daughter bonding time without an agenda. May we adore him and fully appreciate that because of Christ, we enjoy a direct relationship with the pre-existent, co-eternal, omnipotent God, who, inexplicably, desires to meet with us at any time, every day. What grace!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Gosh. Participating in a relationship like I'm an adult? With God? Such a failure in that very human aspect, but so comforting that He longs to meet with me anyway.
Wonderful reminder, Linda! Kristen is a smart young woman, and I have no doubt who she is learning from! :)

March 22, 2007 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

This was really good Linda, thanks.

March 22, 2007 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Linda, this is so true. I love this story. I think that is why He does not answer prayers right away, because he wants to spend time with us.

Blessings.

March 22, 2007 at 10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Linda,

It is AMAZING. I barely can fathom our prayer life and how it is our relationship with God the Father through Jesus. Fantastic Post.

BTW, I have a middle schooler. Totally relate!!

March 23, 2007 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

This is so timely for me Linda. I know the Lord is speaking to me about this. I just finished reading a little booklet about our heart being God's home. In one chapter it pictured Jesus waiting in the living room for the author to show up for devotions. Jesus finally "said" to him that He wanted him to come spend time with Him for no other reason than just because He was there waiting for him. It is an amazing thought. The Lord is always there, waiting to spend time with me. I am the one hurrying out the door to do the "important" things I simply must do.
This was a wonderful devotional.

March 23, 2007 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Linda,

Thanks for reminding me that I don't need an agenda to kneel at His throne.

March 23, 2007 at 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home