Internet Cafe

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Moments

Yesterday was a terrible day.

For starters, the company we utilize for Internet connection greeted me with a connection suspension in the morning.

Why is that?

Apparently they took note of illegal activity through our router and didn’t want to take any chances. Of course, it wasn’t my husband or I who had done anything illegal. Someone had tapped into our Internet source and was on a downloading frenzy.

The company understood someone else probably was using the connection illegally but still didn’t want to turn ours back on.


Nice.

Especially when you work from home and have clients who are expecting projects in their inboxes ASAP.

Then I turned the kitchen sink on. Water sprayed every which way because the filter that was recently installed decided today it wasn’t in the mood to comply. No matter how hard I tried to get it off, the thing wouldn’t budge. My husband was at work so I had to do without a kitchen sink and clean up the flood that I had made from my few attempts to fix it.

This was followed by a gift I ordered turning out to be a piece of junk - a $62 dollar piece of junk. NFL Shop, I’m coming for you and thanks for letting me waste a nice chunk of change. How admirable of you.

Worked into quite an irritated thither, I began to feel the Lord telling me to sit down and read His Word.

I begrudgingly did what I was told.

I don’t admit that lightly. Truth is, I really didn’t want to. I was so worked up and annoyed I wasn’t sure I would be able to focus.

For the first ten minutes or so I couldn’t focus!

I just kept turning pages and whimpering about my bad day.

Finally I found myself reading Revelation 5 (that should give you an idea of just how many pages I absentmindedly turned!) and found my heart (and mouth) moved to silence.

No annoyances voiced.

No wants asked for.

No needs monopolizing my thoughts.

I just sat soaking in the Word written.

“And they sang a new song, saying:
‘You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals,
because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God
members of every tribe and language
and people and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on earth.”

I found myself singing a new song. Singing with the ten thousand times ten thousand angels who with voices loud encircle the throne and say:

“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth
and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise.”

There is a dose of perspective for you. Revelation 5 paired against a failed Internet connection and mangled sink filter.

The Lamb slain up against my bad day.

Jesus Christ, the Worthy One, bidding me to come and rest with His Word.

After reading this awesome scripture set I thumbed through old prayers and notes on certain verses.
Still awed at the power of God’s Word and the majesty of His Name, still reeling from the realization of what the Lamb slain, Jesus, has made accessible and possible for us, I read a prayer of mine from October of 2006.

I remember feeling so broken as I wrote it, as I penned my heart to the Lord and yet as it goes on hope begins to appear.

About three quarters of the way into it, I asked the Lord,

“How could I, for even a moment, have not come to You?”

I ask that still today. I ask that as I allow the events of my inconvenient day to cloud my purpose in this place.

To bring Him glory.

To seek Him out.

To still myself and be quiet now.

This is my pursuit.

This is my plea, “Lord, take all of my moments.”

Even if you have to clear my schedule, through failed connections and broken appliances, to do it!

***


Kristen writes daily at {dancing} in the margins and also at Exemplify Online. She welcomes you to stop by!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Praying blessings for you.

January 25, 2009 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Beautiful devotion. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Kim

January 25, 2009 at 3:14 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I write letters to the Lord I have found that it is a time for me and just him where I can pour out my heart to him in a way that I do not do when I pray to him. When you go back and read those letters and see where you were then an how much you have grown since then it is amazing. I just want to think all of you for this blog, I know the Lord sent me to this particular one. Keep the devotions coming

January 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Betsy Markman said...

Thank you for injecting a touch of the awesome into my morning. I definitely need more of Him!

January 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Today's Christian Mom~ said...

WOW~makes our bad days seem so small in comparison. Thanks for that reminder

January 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home