Internet Cafe

Sunday, October 12, 2008

WHO ARE WE ACCOUNTABLE TO?

When I was in college I began to meet regularly with a Titus 2 woman. We met once a week and she would share with me what God was teaching her in her daily Bible times. After I got married, and even after I had my first child, we continued to meet once a week.

I can remember a few times that I didn't FEEL like meeting. Maybe I felt convicted about something in my life or I knew that I hadn't been faithful in a certain area. One night we were supposed to meet at my on campus apartment. She came and knocked on the door. I hid in a back room! I didn't want the accountability that came with meeting--so I hid! Can you believe that?

It is very popular to be involved in "accountability groups" or with "accountability partners". Although I know this can be helpful, we need to make sure that we are mindful of what is most important--ultimately our "accountability" is to God. I do not mean to minimize the value of having other believers in your life that encourage you in your walk with God. In the past I have been involved in groups, and I have had the privilege of meeting "one on one" with some very godly women. Both have been helpful to me! If you are involved in an "accountability" relationship it is so important to evaluate what your purpose for meeting might be, and what exactly is being accomplished.

Are you learning to further rely on and look to Jesus or are you relying on and looking to others? In these types of relationships do the people you meet with constantly point you to the Word or their opinion? Are you only meeting with people who are your age or are you meeting with women who are older than you! (Titus 2) Do the people or person you meet with encourage you to think Biblically? Do they encourage you to be committed to your church body, honor your parents, live a holy life, be godly, submissive, respectful wives?

When I met with my friend all those years ago, the main thing that characterized our time together was that I went away longing to be in the Word and excited to live it out in whatever season I happened to be in. When I was a college student I was challenged to be in the Word and live a holy life. After getting married I was excited about being a wife. I remember coming home so motivated to serve and love my husband! (Brian used to joke with me that maybe I should start meeting with my friend twice a week because I came home so excited to be a godly wife!) And after I had children I would come home motivated to be a godly mom. I remember there were times I would come home from our meeting and I would go into daughter's room and pick her up out of her crib so that I could just hold her! I came away from those times with my friend having been encouraged in the Word and having spent time with a woman who lived out her walk with God in a way that made me want to do the same. She never encouraged me to go to HER church, or do things HER way! She simply focused my attention on God and His Word. It was what SHE was focused on! I never felt dependent on her but always felt the need to be more dependent on God.

I love what Amy Carmichael says:
"God make us all His Jonathan. There is a great hunter abroad in the world. Like Saul who sought David every day, he seeks souls every day, never a day's respite, always the hunt is on. Although the words stand for ever, "but God delivered him not into his hand", yet sometimes souls tire of being hunted, and like David they are in a wilderness in a wood. Then is Jonathan's chance. BUT NOTICE WHAT HE DOES, HE DOES NOT SO COMFORT DAVID THAT HE BECOMES NECESSARY TO HIM. 'HE STRENGTHENED HIS HAND IN GOD.' (I SAMUEL 23:16) HE LEAVES HIS FRIEND STRONG IN GOD, RESTING IN GOD, SAFE IN GOD. HE DETACHES HIS DEAR DAVID FROM HIMSELF AND HE ATTACHES HIM TO HIS 'VERY PRESENT HELP'. THEN JONATHAN WENT TO HIS HOUSE, AND DAVID ABODE IN THE WOOD---WITH GOD!"

We can hide from a person! We can tell them what we think they want to hear. But there is nothing that we do, think, or say that is not seen by God! We are accountable to Him for our daily, minute by minute choices! He is the one who sees our heart of hearts...our deepest desires...our deepest thoughts! No group or person can do that.

I pray that I will follow only God and His Word, become dependent on HIM, and that I will LEAVE MY FRIENDS STRONG IN GOD, RESTING IN GOD, SAFE IN GOD. THAT I WILL DETACH ALL WHO ARE DEAR TO ME FROM MYSELF AND ATTACH THEM TO MY 'VERY PRESENT HELP'!

You can visit Gina at her personal blog "CHATS WITH AN 'OLD LADY"


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Thanks for this lovely devotion sweetie.

October 12, 2008 at 1:30 AM  
Blogger Amy L Brooke said...

Beautifully written. You are right, a mentor is suppose to be someone, a sign post if you will, who points us to God.

October 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to do it when i was a teenager. I hid from them. i decided to be the fellowship but then after i got a bad experience, i did not trust them anymore. I was hurt. now I know that we can hide or runaway from others, but we can't runaway from God's love. We can't hide from him.

This is beautiful sister. You pour a water into me. It freshen me up again. Thank you.

October 12, 2008 at 6:53 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

"I pray that I will follow only God and His Word, become dependent on HIM, and that I will LEAVE MY FRIENDS STRONG IN GOD, RESTING IN GOD, SAFE IN GOD. THAT I WILL DETACH ALL WHO ARE DEAR TO ME FROM MYSELF AND ATTACH THEM TO MY 'VERY PRESENT HELP'!" I LOVE IT!!!! That's my prayer too.

October 12, 2008 at 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such a challenging post. Thank you for this. xo.

October 13, 2008 at 12:57 AM  
Blogger LauraLee Shaw said...

I will join you in that prayer. Wise, insightful post.

October 13, 2008 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Gina...this was GOOD. "We are accountable to Him for our daily, minute by minute choices!" hit me because we(I) are so consumed with the "now" whatever we are in that we (I) tend to forget it will all be weighed in the balances of life.

THIS was very good!

October 13, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home