Internet Cafe

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Imagery of the Psalmist

It is amazing that the more you study God's love letter, God's Word, you realize how little you know. That happens to me all the time!

Recently, I decided to begin a study of the book of Psalm.

What a beautiful book of mercy, grace, hope, encouragement and peace it is.

We find these images of God. He is our Shield, Rock, King, Shepherd, Judge, Refuge, Fortress, Avenger, Creator, Deliverer, Healer, Protector, Provider and Redeemer. These are just a few!

When we think of the book of Psalm we always remember Psalm 23 because it is used so often in times of trouble and heartache as an encouragement to us as believers.

I have learned is not only an anchor to us as believers, but is also where we see the majesty of our Savior Jesus Christ who deserves all the praise for eternity.

We see the images of God and how He sustains us. Come with me as I share some of His Images and the verses with them.

1. God is our shield. Psalm 3:3,

"But you, O Lord, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head."

This is a Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom, his son. That was the confidence David had in Christ for He was a shield about him. In Ephesians 6:16 Paul is describing the shield of faith as providing our protection against the power of evil. Nevertheless God is our Shield.

2. God is our Rock.

Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my Rock and my Fortress and my Deliverer."

This is after one of David's song of gratitude. The Lord is that to us. He has been the Image of a Rock in my life many times. I think back a few years ago when one of my daughter's was raped and how He was the Rock that kept me together during that horrific time. I Praise Him for being my Rock and my Deliverer!

3. God is King.

Psalm 5:2 " Give heed to the voice of my cry, my King and my God. For to you I will pray."

Do we realize that we have access to a King; the King? My friends, it is not a King, but the King of Kings! Alleluia! He is! He reigns! Vs. 3 "My voice You (King) shall hear in the morning O Lord; In the morning I will direct it to You. (King) and I will look up."

4. God is our Shepherd.

Psalm 80:1 "Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, You Who lead Joseph like a flock; You Who dwell between the cherubim, shine forth!"

God is the Shepherd of His people. God was called on as a Shepherd to His people. He is also our Shepherd in 1 Peter 5:4 "And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away." He is our Chief Shepherd!

May we remember these are the Images of our Best Friend. Our Best Friend as we go through our days as moms, wives and women dealing with our daily routines and schedules. When we hear "Mom!" or when we are supposed to be somewhere and our little one decides to mess up his diaper or when one of our teenagers reminds us he has to be in a school meeting in about 10 minutes.

God and His Son Jesus Christ is our Shield, Rock, King and Shepherd! He is all of these descriptive personal nouns in our lives as believers! What a strength it is to know that we are princesses before our King!

Close and Personal:

1. Walking with the Lord as long as some of us have, do we forget these images of God?

2. Do we recall a time in our lives where He exemplified these images that are mentioned in Psalm?

3. Which Image of God spoke to you?

My dear Heavenly Father how majestic is your name! How excellent is your name! You are the King of Kings, you are our Shield, Rock and our Chief Shepherd! May we walk as your princesses in our life here on this earth that when we see you, oh Lord we might not be ashamed! We love You our Savior! Thank you for being Who you are!

Join Elaine daily at her personal site.

This past Sunday I had the privilege of hearing "The Shepherds" in concert. They were amazing! Debra Shepherd wrote music to Psalm 27 and I want to leave verse 1 with you.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?"




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home