Internet Cafe

Friday, August 15, 2008

Pulling the Weeds



"And the seed that fell in the weeds—well, these are the ones who hear, but then the seed is crowded out and nothing comes of it as they go about their lives worrying about tomorrow, making money, and having fun.”
Luke 8:14


Isn’t it amazing that weeds can grow with no attention at all? They can come in all different shapes and colors, and some even look harmless. They don’t have to be watered or cared for in the least and yet they can overtake a lawn in no time at all. On the other hand, if you want your grass or flowers to grow, they have to be cultivated. You must water, fertilize, and diligently care for them. It takes work to have a beautiful lawn or garden of any kind. The same is true of our lives as believers. It takes work to cultivate an intimate relationship with Christ that bears fruit.

Luke 8:14 tells us that the seed, which is referring to the Word of God, fell in the weeds. The truth of God was crowded out by the cares of the world. The Word was clearly given, but it had no room to grow because of the weeds of worry and the pursuit of success, money, and pleasure.

I could give you a beautiful plant or flower bush to plant in your yard, but unless you take it, prepare the soil, plant it, water it, and nurture it, it will never grow. It will eventually wither and die if it isn’t transplanted into deep soil and diligently cared for. The same is true of God’s Word. We can hear the truth Sunday after Sunday and even read it day after day, but unless we rid ourselves of the weeds that distract us, we will never give the Truth adequate place in our hearts to take root and grow. It doesn’t take work on our part to have the weeds of worry, the pursuits of money and pleasure, and the many cares of this world to take root and crowd our lives. Left unattended, they will grow and take over every area of our lives, leaving no room at all for the fruit and beauty that Christ offers.

When was the last time you walked through the lawn of your heart and pulled the weeds? What are the things that are distracting you? Is it a desire for more materially, the pursuit of pleasure, or worry about what is to come? Do you sit down to read His Word in the mornings, only to be distracted by your emails, your upcoming agenda for the day, or the piles of laundry and dishes that await you? We must take the time to clear our hearts and minds of every distraction in order to really hear and grasp the amazing truth God has for us. The Son is shining bright and it is a great day for some gardening. So, take the time today to pull the weeds from around your heart and mind and give Christ the room He not only requires, but deserves, and let Him fill the lawn of your life with His beauty for all those around you to enjoy!

Lord, help me today to exert the energy and discipline necessary to rid my life of every weed of distraction that is keeping me from cultivating Your truth in my heart. Enable me to keep the soil of my heart watered daily with your Holy Spirit and enriched by the Fertilizer of Faith that comes from your Word. Thank you for the beautiful work you desire to do in my life if I will only yield myself to it and take the time to cultivate a deep relationship with You!



You can read more from Tammy by visiting her on her personal blog at Steps In Our Journey

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger sailorcross said...

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear before I started my day this morning!!

Thank you for reminding me that our hearts and minds always need "fertilized" every day in order to grow spiritually and become more Christ-like.

August 15, 2008 at 3:08 AM  
Blogger Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

A most excellent reminder. I need to print this out and put it on my fridge as a constant reminder to slow down and put first things first.
Thank you!
Blessings,
Kim

August 15, 2008 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger much2ponder said...

Very good post! Simple, yet necessary and just what I needed to be reminded of today. Thank you!

August 15, 2008 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This was very timely for me. I was watching a movie with my hubby last night thinking, what a waste of my time. I know hubby wanted me to be with him, but I felt it was filling my mind with junk. It's sometimes hard to strike a balance between demands of this world and our need for more of God.

I will be pondering this post today and praying about it, too.

August 15, 2008 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Tammy, thank you for sharing this. I often think about that too whenever I am outside working in the yard or the vegetable garden. I always have more fruit if there are less weeds. It's true in my life too. Blessings to you!

August 15, 2008 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Wonderful sweetie.

August 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Sunny Shell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 15, 2008 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Sunny Shell said...

Sister Tammy,

I LOVE the your analogy of weeds in a garden to the distractions of our soul that pull us away from Christ.

I too am a gardener and recently wrote about what God has taught me through gardening (you can find it here:

http://jesusrulzme.blogspot.com/2008/07/proverbs-3111.html

Anyway, I'm just so grateful to God every time He gifts me with another sister in Christ who learns like I do!

Bless you dear sister,
Sunny

August 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger windycindy said...

I think my worst weeds are holding on to the people that have hurt me in the past! I am working on it, though! Thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

August 15, 2008 at 1:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SWEET, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME WHEN I GOT UP THIS AM EARLY AND STARTED TO YOUR DEVOTION AND ENDED UP GOING EVERY POSSIBLE DIRECTION UNTIL 3:33 PM AND I AM FINALLY BACK TO READ MY BIBLE ON LINE WITH SCORBY.. I HAVE VISION PROBLEMS AND LIKE TO LISTEN TO THE SCRIPTURES AS I READ IN MY LARGE PRINT BIBLE.

LOVE YOUR DEVOTIONS WHICH I FOUND ON MY SWEET GRAND-DAUGHTERS SITE.

THANK YOU.
ALSO SOME GREAT LINKS. PRAISE THE LORD.

JANE

August 15, 2008 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger Skoots1moM said...

I love it when there are God-incidences and he lays things on our hearts at the same time...so we can study and ponder his word even more. At my site I wrote about the root, too!

http://skirkman.blogspot.com/2008/08/dig-roots-part-4-of-7-parts.html

August 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Buffy said...

How very true. How many must fall by the wayside by not making the proper preparation to nurture the truth.

August 18, 2008 at 6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home