Internet Cafe

Friday, May 9, 2008

What are You Waiting For?


What are You Waiting For?

My year in the UK has taught me quite a few things. I can make a convincing apple & rhubarb crumble. I understand how to navigate a roundabout… I think? And after a few slightly awkward conversations, I’ve learned the difference between ‘trousers’ and ‘pants’.

Something else I’ve learned about is waiting. England has provided me with plenty of opportunities to begin to figure this one out. For example, on any given day, I wait for the sun to make an appearance – which, in this land of rain and gloom, is rare. Given the current exchange rate, I’m waiting to buy make up – I haven’t bought so much as an eyeliner pencil in over 8 months. In my job as a youth worker, I’m constantly waiting for the kids in my youth groups to quiet down so we can move on to the next activity. Before I landed in the UK, I waited as 2 tense weeks passed for my visa to be approved by the British Consulate. With all this practice, you’d think I’d at least be a little better at waiting than I am. Funnily enough, I’m not.

I’m currently in the process of trying to figure out what I’m doing next – once I step off the plane in Memphis International, that’s pretty much where my plan ends and the improvisation begins. Just like in every great Disney film, I’ve arrived at this climax: our heroes are safe thus far, but wait! They’re still not out of harm’s way. Danger lurks just a step behind.


One character will turn to the leader and ask, his voice dripping with panic, “What do we do now?!” The leader, slightly stunned by their sudden arrival at safety, will turn and reply simply, “Well… I don’t really know. I didn’t count on making it this far.”


This scenario fairly accurately describes where I am at the moment. This year has been my grand adventure… while also serving as my own clever way of putting my future on hold. Whilst gaining life experience and exploring another culture, I’ve been spending my spare time praying for direction. I desperately want to know what’s going to happen next.

Sometimes, when I pray, I can get so frustrated – I pray, wait for an answer, and it seems as though nothing happens.

“Are you there, God? It’s me, Aimee Cait. Remember me? I packed up and moved far away from my family to this strange land where it’s always rainy and they eat yucky food and… I want my mom, Lord! Where are you? And why won’t you answer me?”
This year, I realize that God doesn’t just dole out ‘yes’ and ‘no’ answers. Sometimes, He asks us to wait.


Wait for the Lord; Be strong and take heart And wait for the Lord.
Psalm 27:14

I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.
Psalm 40:1

Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!
Isaiah 30:18




Am I blessed because I’m waiting?

Why wait?

Why can't God just tell me whatever it is He's trying to teach me?

Why do I have to learn this way?

This year, I've learned that my father God does hear me. He knows I’m aching for answers. He feels my pain more fully than I understand. He wants me to know the answer, as well… but in His time, not mine. My timing isn’t perfect… but His is.

So while my future is up in the air, I don’t know exactly where I’ll end up next year, I don’t know what I’m going to do or who I’m going to be… I do know this: that waiting for God brings about blessing, and even though it might feel like I’ve put my life on hold, God knows what He’s doing. He’s got access to the big picture, and He finds joy in revealing it to me, piece by piece.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

May your precious heart be sweetly blessed.

May 9, 2008 at 4:09 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I'm waiting too...it is good to wait on the Lord, He's worth it. I keep telling myself that. Wait on the Lord, I say, wait on the Lord, Sheila!

Whatever He's doing I'm trusting it is well worth the wait!

Peace and Grace to you dear one!
Sheila

May 9, 2008 at 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it was Spurgeon that said the "waiting" is part of God's answer to our prayer....I find great comfort in those words.
He does have a plan for you!!:))

May 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was your age, the concept of waiting was the single most excruciating thing in the world to me. It is only now, about a million years later, that I trust the waiting. I know, now, that it means that He is producing life in me. I know that, now, because I have resisted and complained at times. But now, I wait . . . like waiting for treasure.

Awesome word Girlie!

(If you don't turn out to be some kind of writer, I'll be very surprised!)

And, Welcome to the Cafe'!!! We're blessed to have you!

May 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Amico Dio said...

Waiting is something I am not very good at either but it is during these times that I find I grow the most.

Great article, Aimee Cait! I'm with Darnelle, you should be a writer!

May 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Aimee,
My daughter (21 years old) is in England too...well actually right now she is in Poland. She went to England in January with YWAM on a DTS. She is on her outreach in Poland right now. I can't wait to see her face. I miss her.

She too is waiting on God to hear what He has next for her. So this post is special to me as I know the questions you are facing are much like hers.

I will tell you what I tell her.... God knows the plans. He's got the details and at just the right moment He will unveil all that He has for you. It's hard to wait, but in the waiting that seed of trust continues to grow.

I can tell by your words that you are a precious heart. I am glad to meet you. If you would like to read about my daughter, I wrote about her on my blog. "Why I Love Being A Mother"....

Hugs,
Julie

May 9, 2008 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger windycindy said...

You are doing great things! I can tell it.....Thanks for the word on patience. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

May 9, 2008 at 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so true...I loved this post :o) thanks for sharing your heart!!!

May 10, 2008 at 1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home