Internet Cafe

Friday, April 25, 2008

Fragrance



The Internet Cafe



welcomes



Melanie from This Ain't New York



I think I might be addicted to Febreze.

Seriously, since the little blue bottles came out, I have loved the stuff. Maybe addicted is taking it a bit too far, but let's just say that I am strongly drawn to the Febreze logo displayed at Target.

Now they've added Febreze to so many cleaning products, my entire cleaning supply is labeled "Now with Febreze."

The truth is that I love anything that smells good, but I really adore anything that smells clean. The more I push the Swiffer button and release the scent of freshly cleaned floors, the more I want to clean my floor, and then my bathroom, and my sinks and so on.

Everyone has their own favorite scent, whether it is a flower, a perfume, or a brand new cleaning product. It reminds me that God has His own favorite aromas, too.

Revelations 5 refers to “the prayers of the saints” as “golden bowls of incense.” In fact, our prayers are like the sacrifices of the faithful in the Old Testament, as a sweet savour to The Lord.

Notice that God’s Word refers to all of the prayers of the saints as fragrant unto God. That’s right. He is pleased to hear all of our prayers- those of praise and thanksgiving, and those of sadness, doubt and worry. God is eager to listen to them all.

And when we are so distraught or confused that we cannot even think of the words to say, The Holy Spirit will pray on our behalf...

"And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." Romans 8: 26

This has always been amazing to me. I picture myself kneeling, tears streaming down my face, wanting to talk to My Lord, yet the words will not come. Then the Mighty Hand of the Holy Spirit rests gently on my shoulder and He speaks aloud to God on my behalf, as if to say, “Be comforted, dear one. I am here for you and I know your need. I will talk to the Father for you.”


What touches my weary heart is that God is always there, always listening to my prayers. It doesn’t matter how insignificant I think something is , it is always important to Him.

He tells us that He wants us to tell Him everything, the same way we tell our own children. Just like a child running in from school with something to tell her mom, I can run to Him with anything from my day and He is standing there waiting and listening.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4: 6-7

And to think that my prayers are not only accepted, but that they could be fragrant to Almighty God, like “golden bowls of incense,” well, that helps me rest in His Peace and Love so much more.

In Christ,

Melanie











9 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Awesome devotion, bless you.

April 25, 2008 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

I love this. I don't send up that sweet scent anywhere near enough!

April 25, 2008 at 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has been an absolute blessing this morning. It is good to be reminded of what our prayers really mean to Him. We forget how precious we are . . . to Him.
Beautiful.

(and I TOTALLY get the Febreze thing. My husband is afraid they'll come out with Febreze cologne - he knows I'll try it!)

April 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Melanie, This is a beautiful post.

It makes me think of the woman who poured perfume on Jesus. The perfume though eminating a powerful fragrance was not what was inviting, but it was the sweetness of the broken and contrite heart reaching out to Jesus.

I do not think anyone in the room could have left unchanged by that event.

I am thankful that He sees the offerings of our hearts as an aromatic incense before Him.

Thank you for sharing.
Julie

April 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Your article caught my eye with concern...do you know that the cleaning products in your home, including febreeze, are actually harming you and your family? Because I care, please check this out! http://www.gogreenwebcast.com/4family

April 25, 2008 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger windycindy said...

Happy Friday! I enjoyed your analogy of our liking scents and the Biblical scents. Enjoy your weekend.....Cindi

April 25, 2008 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Loved your thoughts on this, Melanie.

April 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Mel! Romans 8:26 is one of my favorites. :-)

April 27, 2008 at 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent this to my prayer partners and friends with the following note that I thought I would share with you:
This is the part that really spoke to me today: And when we are so distraught or confused that we cannot even think of the words to say, The Holy Spirit will pray on our behalf...
This includes the times that I cry so much I am physically ill. when I am beating myself up inwardly and can't even try to pray, I can only moan and complain and hate myself, the Holy Spirit is there, groaning with me and speaking to the Father on my behalf. I AM SO UNWORTHY. I do not deserve such wondrous Love. but it's mine. and I think one of these days, He will actually get me to believe and hold forever in my heart and my spirit that I am worth more in His eyes than I will ever know. and maybe, just maybe, I will quit beating myself up and hating myself. This passage really touched me today. I needed it. He is so wonderful! there is none like our God!!
Thank you so much for this devotion! God Bless, Johna

April 28, 2008 at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home