Internet Cafe

Thursday, June 7, 2007

I Am A Servant

I had just walked in the door after managing to dodge the heavy rainfall. It felt good to be home--warm and dry. The crazy morning had me on the run, and I was finally ready to sit back, dig into email, and put my painted toes on a chair. The phone rang.

In that moment it took to pick up the phone, I made a covenant with myself. It was a quick covenant because the phone only rang two or three times, so I'm guessing that I can talk at record speed in my brain. Whoever is on the phone, I told myself, is going to get my full attention and care. I'm taking this moment out of my life just for them, for in serving others, I'm serving God.

It was my teenaged son. "Mom, you probably don't want this call right now, but it's raining, and I wondered if you could pick me up from school. Sorry to bother you."

I had a choice to make--either I could lecture this kid on how I just passed his school 15 minutes ago, but didn't stop because he wanted to stay there, or I could stick with the plan, honor the covenant, and be a servant. I stuck with the plan.

"Not at all!" I said, "I'd love to pick you up, where are you right now?"

I think the boy must have fallen over, which is a long way to go since he's six feet tall, but if so, he managed to pick himself off of the floor to tell me he'd be at the back door of the school in ten minutes.

He made apologies when he got in the car about how he should have told me to pick him up in the first place, how he could have taken the bus in the rain, how he would try to come up with a better plan next time...

"Don't worry about it," I said, "I'm happy to spend this time with you."

And I was. The rain poured down quenching our thirsty land, as the Spirit moved, quenching my thirsty soul. It felt good to be living my purpose.

This little covenant, got me thinking... Since I practiced it yesterday, it served as a constant reminder today to put others first, I mean really put them first--by taking that "moment" out of my life to warm someone elses. To be a servant for the Lord.

Yesterday is was this ride from the school; today it was patient understanding in miscommunication. And what will you require of me tomorrow Lord? I am your servant.

"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ."
~ Colossians 3:23, 24


I am a servant, getting ready for my part
There's been a change, a rearrangement in my heart
At last I'm learning there's no returning once I start
To live's a privilege, to love is such an art
But I need Your help to start
Oh please purify my heart I am Your servant...
~ Larry Norman




Visit me at my personal blog: Darlene Schacht dot com :)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Beautiful post dear one.

June 8, 2007 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

It so often is the little things God requires of us yet we more often feel taken advantage instead of blessed to be a blessing. That was a wonderful covenant you made with yourself!

June 8, 2007 at 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darlene,

This story resonates with me. Today I have so much to do. All my tasks are about others today and I have had an attitude.

God has reached out to me through you story. I needed to read this. Thank you.

Neat!

June 8, 2007 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

I am so glad I read this today when I did! I really needed to reorient my attitude toward servanthood in some of my tasks today. Thank you for this. :)

June 8, 2007 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Changed by His Love said...

That was an incredible story of Loving God and Serving Others. Practical application to a common theme - THANK YOU!

June 9, 2007 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Ouch! Thanks for the spanking I needed. :) Seriously, you are so right. I am so bad with interruptions, and when I think of how Jesus was interrupted ALL THE TIME, and He didn't come unglued, I feel a bit ashamed.

I am Your servant. What will you require of me tomorrow, Lord? This is my prayer. In Jesus' name, amen.

June 10, 2007 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I enjoyed reading this and it is so true, putting others first makes a big difference in how we react and how we relate to others. During those times we are see then though our Jesus eyes.

June 10, 2007 at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home