Internet Cafe

Friday, April 20, 2007

Loaves and Fish, Days and Weeks

As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, "This is a remote place, and it's already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food."

Jesus replied, "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."

"We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish," they answered.

"Bring them here to me," he said. And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. (Matthew 14:15-20 NIV)

~~~~~~~

As evening approached, I came to Jesus and said, "I don't remotely have enough time to get everything done this week. It's getting late. Please tell me which commitments to let go of! I know you brought these people and ministries into my life as a result of prayer, but it's obvious that I can't handle all of this. Can't someone else do it?"

Jesus replied, "The responsibilities I have ordained for you do not need to go away. You fulfill them."

"I have here only five weekdays and two weekend days," I answered.

"Bring them here to Me," He said. He directed me to sit at His feet. Taking the five weekdays and two weekend days, and looking up to heaven, He gave thanks and broke them into moments. Then He gave them to me, and I gave them to my precious family as well as to the duties and ministries He has faithfully entrusted to me. Each obligation that week was fulfilled, each responsibility carried out with joy. And I found that I had some moments (and a little energy) left over!

Oh, what abundance we experience when we yield our moments and our days to the One Who spoke them into being! The touch of Jesus is all it takes to transform "meager" into "bountiful." Let's go before Him today, offering Him our loaves and fish-- the days and weeks that we clutch in our baskets, which so often don't seem like enough. He will take them, bless them, and make them enough to satisfy His perfect will... feeding and nourishing all- including us! When I relinquish all I have to Him, I can be certain that what He places back into my hands will be more than sufficient to accomplish His purposes.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21


Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Wonderful Cyndi! I have never thought of equating the 5/2 loaves and fishes with our days of the week. Lord knows I need mine multiplied many times over. I have a new way to pray this week thanks to you dear friend!

Wonderful thoughts!

Lisa

April 19, 2007 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Beautifully said, and such a great way to pray.

April 20, 2007 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

Each obligation that week was fulfilled, each responsibility carried out with joy. And I found that I had some moments (and a little energy) left over!
Some times I think that I can't take another step, but He is faithful to help me carry through...

Thank you, Cyndi for sharing from your heart.

Blessings to you and yours.

April 20, 2007 at 1:18 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

Wow, Cyndi, what a GREAT analogy! I love the part about Him breaking our days into moments. You have really spoken to me today.

April 20, 2007 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I can relate to this post TOO WELL. I love how you applied the feeding of the 5000 to our everyday lives. Thank you.

Great post.

April 20, 2007 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

Cyndi, you are a beautiful soul who writes beautifully. Thanks for this lovely post. Great, great metaphor, and words I needed to read to boot.

April 20, 2007 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

Wow! This is such a profound post! I have just never thought of it in this way. Thank you so very much for sharing. It has really blessed me today. Blessings to you, Cyndi!

April 20, 2007 at 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cyndi,

I soooooo needed this post today. It appears I am not alone in the overwhelmed area. I am going to pray right now and give my moments of today to the Master. Wonderful.

April 20, 2007 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Chris @ Come to the Table said...

What a wonderful word to start my day with and what a great reminder to me that when I give my days to the Lord, what He will do with them. "Oh, what abundance we experience when we yield our moments and our days to the One Who spoke them into being! The touch of Jesus is all it takes to transform "meager" into "bountiful."
What a powerful truth you have shared! Loved it!!

April 20, 2007 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a beautiful analogy Cyndi. I found myself once again wishing for a few more hours in my day. Your writing has reminded me that He has already given me enough hours in my day. I simply need to surrender them to Him.
Thank you for this. I believe it was inspired!

April 20, 2007 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I'm adding my "Wow" in here too. That was an amazing post.

April 20, 2007 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Sue Seibert said...

Thank you, as we get ready to leave for Tennessee after church on Sunday, I feel so pushed I don't know what to do. But turn it over to Jesus. Thank you. I needed that.

April 20, 2007 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

What an awesome image to relate to the days in our week! As I'm on bedrest now, busyness seems a luxury, but I know there is a middle ground and God gave me this time to find it and use each moment fully and faithfully no matter what the circumstance.

April 21, 2007 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Love this. LOVE it! I am begging for my meager to become bountiful. Thank you, Cyndi!

April 27, 2007 at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

It is good to hear from you... thank you so very much for leaving a note on the table. That makes us smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home